Comparison of Win7/Vista/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other locations there are different laws and trade agreements where MS has to provide different releases for export apart from anything sold domestically. I think that's what you ran into while traveling around a bit.

Nope sorry mate it's a EU blanket law, any country inside the EU is supposed to enforce it. But in the UK we hate the EU for the most part and don't really enforce the EU's rules when it's something that dose not make sense.

No EU went after Microsoft for WMP. Not IE or Outlook. Microsoft complied with the K version of the software which did not come bundled with WMP. Then there was the KN Versions out as well. Which did not have WMP and something else. I dont remember what the N was for at this point.

Well yeah that is what the N stands for. I jsut dont remember what part they neutered from Windows to make the EU happy. :p

It was IE i sware it was, the EU was worried about a browser lock up through lack of choice, on the continent in most places its possible to by a computer without the OS.

Despite all that being back in 2003 I would have to agree with the 3rd post seen there about not seeing things included to some degree. The viewpoint expressed by MS however was also a valid argument as well.

Considering the often reluctance of people to upgrade to the next version since they will need to buy all new softwares to replace the ones in use at the present time. Just because someone goes out and buys a disk for the next version doesn't always mean they have the money to go out and buy all the new softwares that will run on it.

Yes it was back in 2003. But wasnt it just last year that the EU saying they were gonna fine Mirosoft a insane amount of cash?

EU fine sends message to Microsoft and others - International Herald Tribune

Gee look at that. Not even a year ago. So i guess the EU still holds the ruling held in 2003 to be valid today even for Vista and since that is the case i think it would hold it true for win7.

So that would only help make the EU happy.

I dont see how it being a article from 2003 means anything. It was just last year M$ got fined from the EU. I think it is pretty serious to be fined Billions of $ for bundling software. I think Microsoft is on the right track to remove just about everything they can that is "bundled" and offer a different version for download on the Welcome screen.

This prevents the gripes by the EU, Realplayer who asked the EU and so on. If only IE is included then what else is there? Opera already petitioned the EU and got denied. Firefox wouldnt have much of a shot either. Since Opera already went with the bundled brower defense.

This is a wise choice. It will stop the whinners. It will give people the choice.

Well the fines I was referring to go back even further then 2003. I thought MS was in court here in the U.S a decade ago about IE being incorporated into Windows then. Apparently this continued on for several years.

"Gates: Microsoft controls Windows, not DOJ

Microsoft chairman and CEO Bill Gates lashed out against the DOJ petition against his company on Wednesday, calling the government probe unnecessary and the $1 million a day fine "a non-issue."" Print - Gates: Microsoft controls Windows, not DOJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom