Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   Microsoft Windows and Software (http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   AOL Optimized PC (http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/aol-optimized-pc-67588/)

BASSMASTER 09-26-2005 11:02 AM

AOL Optimized PC
 
Saw a commercial for a PC from AOl for like $299, ready to go out of the box.
Can you imagine the garbage that's probably loaded onto these things? It would be a tech's nitemare!

No question, just thought it was funny and wanted to share

SHAWN 09-26-2005 11:04 AM

The hardware itself is garbage.

beedubaya 09-26-2005 11:34 AM

Here is an advertisement for it.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/AOL-PC/index.asp

Its actually $199.98. These PCs are actually very, very popular. Most people don't want a very high end PC, they just want something to read email and surf the web on a dial-up connection. I have actually heard that you can't expect these PCs to last more than 6 months because the hardware is such crap.

Obtruse_Man4 09-26-2005 12:00 PM

lol, there's Microsoft's rival. I would imagine that with all these Verizon DSL and Comcast Cable commercials I've been seeing, that AOL is probably getting hit pretty hard. I never liked AOL anyway, but I have some friends who think they're the best ever.

Inaris 09-26-2005 12:16 PM

how on earth can you even put "AOL" and "Optimized" in the same sentence? that is an oxymoron if ever there was one...

It's very sad to think that people use and consider AOL as the internet. It's a joke. I have shown many once AOL memebers the real net, and they quickly changed to a real ISP. AOL is a joke and will always be a joke. If I want big brother, I'll go try hacking the defence net... Not pay someone to monitor me...

beedubaya 09-26-2005 06:35 PM

Whether we like it or not, dial-up is still king in the US and AOL is #1, and AOL themselves are the reason why. Many people don't even know there is an alternative to AOL available. I know a couple that pays $29.99 per month for AOL dial-up (because of contract), and $34.99 per month for an extra phone line. They refuse to get cable because "they aren't ready to make the switch."

EricB 09-26-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beedubaya
Whether we like it or not, dial-up is still king in the US and AOL is #1, and AOL themselves are the reason why. Many people don't even know there is an alternative to AOL available. I know a couple that pays $29.99 per month for AOL dial-up (because of contract), and $34.99 per month for an extra phone line. They refuse to get cable because "they aren't ready to make the switch."
and then when they make the switch, AOL won't let them. they will keep taking money out of your account until you change it.

beedubaya 09-26-2005 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by EricB
and then when they make the switch, AOL won't let them. they will keep taking money out of your account until you change it.
True! Everybody I know who's tried to cancel has had to change their credit card to get them to stop charging for it. How they get away with this, I don't know.

TheRecluse 09-26-2005 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beedubaya
True! Everybody I know who's tried to cancel has had to change their credit card to get them to stop charging for it. How they get away with this, I don't know.
I had AOL for a year because my old comp came with a 1 year "free" (free in quotations because of the pain and anguish i had to pay to use their horrible "service")... when I swtiched to cable I had to call them up and give them all the personal information there is about me, and spend around 30 min on hold... horrible.

Once people get broadband, I don't think they ever want to go back to AOhelL.

I think the idea of AOL broadband is a joke... I'm surprised God hasn't struck those people down yet....

EricB 09-26-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TheRecluse
I think the idea of AOL broadband is a joke... I'm surprised God hasn't struck those people down yet....
here in columbus. they charge you 35.00 to borrow roadrunner service and 15.00 on top of that for them. aol for broadband always lost it's connection too

some people got smart and figured out that they can just pay 35.00 for regular road runner which never cut out


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.