Upgrading a Sony FZ21e Laptop - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading a Sony FZ21e Laptop

Hi all, complete newcomer to all things 'techie' so need all the help I can get.

My FZ21e has 2gb of RAM, but is upgradeable to 4gb. As I use it for a lot of music production and performance, I feel the extra 2gb would go a long way. So, my questions;

1. What kind of RAM do I need, are there different types which will work on my machine that are better than others? I want the optimum performance possible

2. How the **** do I fit it?

Any help MUCH appreciated, cheers.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Upgrading a Sony FZ21e Laptop

In general, for laptops you really just need to stick with the same type of RAM. I looked online (just google it) and the Sony Vaio FZ21E and it uses DDR2, PC5300, 667 MHz. The max is four gig (you knew that) and currently you have two sticks of 1 gig. I would first take a look at the slots to see how many you have. Obviouisly you have two, and you may have four. But in the slim chance you only have one extra slot you will either have to find a PC5300 chip that has 2 gig or you will have to replace one of your current ones. Here is some RAM I found at newegg that will work with your system.
Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

Word of warning - be careful. Laptops are relatively delicate in comparison to desktop. When inserting the ram you will flip the laptop over and unscrew the cover to the ram (probably will be labled). Now you should be able to click a lever or something that will prop the ram almost verticle (probably more of a 60 degree angle). At that point you can insert any new ram you have.

Notebookcheck: Review Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E Notebook
-Vista SME
Closed Thread