Unable to uncompress or extract on SSD

familyman01

Baseband Member
Dell Inspiron n5110, all stock except i swapped the sata for a SSD.

i have many rar files and compressed games that unrar and uncompress perfectly on my Toshiba laptop and other PCs but will throw all sorts of errors on the SSD even though there's plenty of room. CRC errors constantly, unexpected end of archive errors, and one that goes like.. information cannot be read or similar.

No matter how many times the main files get transferred over to the SSD (i copy a fresh copy in hopes of that being the reason for the error) for extraction, I always have these errors, again, all sorts of rars containing data, pics, and some packed games (ISO). These are work wonderfully on my other PCs.

I have the same operating system loaded on the SSD (7 x64) and it's super fast and works wonderfully, internet, browsing, and all the programs that DO install work great and super smooth, all drivers installed without a hitch.

This SSD just hates ANYTHING compressed.

Thank you for any advice in advnace :)

Some SSD's will compress through the controller. If your compressing any files with a third party program or windows then stop doing that, double compressing in fact takes more bytes. Can you tell us what SSD drive, model and manufacture?

I'm DEcompressing (unraring / extracting) previously rared files that have never been "double compressed". And no I cannot right now, the problem has taken a turn for worse, I can barely type this before I get a BSOD. These are the first set of BSODs since I installed clean win 7. First was "Bad Pool Header" second was "memory management" and third was generic, all happened today when attempting to update windows. Previous owner had Ubuntu on the SSD, and he has the OEM sata drive as well. I should have been more specific about that in my first post, was working fine until today... Had it with SSD for a week with Ubuntu working well, then win7 working well, until the updates and unraring for my data. I'm moving my rar files and other compressed files from a storage external harddrive via USB 3.0 just exactly how I move them to my other computers that work well.

Given the new BSODs should I just ignore the extracting issue and start with troubleshooting the memory or could the SSD effect memory controllers? Or could me attempting to Unrar these files set off these events?

I'll try to run memtest, but first I'll run everest to see the model SSD, posting this first before another BSOD.

Off the bat I see this listed, no deeper model info yet.... Drive
Drive #1 - SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device (59 GB)

Check if you have any mini dump files under C:\Windows\Minidump

If so, zip them up and upload them here and I can analyze them.

As for your SSD...have you updated the firmware on it?

I can barely dechpher the dozens of drivers for the laptop itself, for my serial number on dell's website there are at minimum 8 wireless chipset drivers for petes sake. I wouldn't know where to begin to update the firmware for the ssd, i assume Samsung would have a tool that would automatically detect the serial number for my drive and flash? but i'm almost sure that the firmware was updated before ubuntu, or shortly after the previous owner put ubuntu on it. don't even know how to check.

however, I'm on my toshiba right now, memtest is at #8 on the dell with the SSD and shows 1 pass and half million errors.

i'm a desktop guy, my head is spinning with this. normally i'd just have the side of the case off and pull parts as needed. the dells screen actually has to be removed for the access to the ssd. i can replace the memory blindfolded at least lol.

i'll look for minidump logs, but i have no idea how many passes memtest will do or how long or how to read the logs. since it acted fine until just today i'm scared to even put new memory in it, I can yank out the sticks from the toshiba (the dell has a better proc and features) and stick em in the dell but i don't want to ruin all my memory.

my worry is that these issues may have something to do with eachother and i just have a brick. i don't have the money to replace the ssd AND the memory at the same time.

but yeah, after the test i'll look for crash dumps.

I can barely dechpher the dozens of drivers for the laptop itself, for my serial number on dell's website there are at minimum 8 wireless chipset drivers for petes sake.
Look at the wifi card physically or in Device Manager when booted.

I wouldn't know where to begin to update the firmware for the ssd, i assume Samsung would have a tool that would automatically detect the serial number for my drive and flash? but i'm almost sure that the firmware was updated before ubuntu, or shortly after the previous owner put ubuntu on it. don't even know how to check.
Install Samsung Magician software from their site to update firmware.

however, I'm on my toshiba right now, memtest is at #8 on the dell with the SSD and shows 1 pass and half million errors.
If you're getting errors at all...then it's definitely a memory issue. Pull all the sticks, and repeat Memtest doing 1 stick at a time until you find the bad stick.

i'm a desktop guy, my head is spinning with this. normally i'd just have the side of the case off and pull parts as needed. the dells screen actually has to be removed for the access to the ssd. i can replace the memory blindfolded at least lol.

i'll look for minidump logs, but i have no idea how many passes memtest will do or how long or how to read the logs.
If you upload the dump files, I use WinDbg to analyze them which shows tons of info on the crash.

However, if you're getting memory errors in Memtest, IMO it's definitely an issue with the RAM (or possibly motherboard).

since it acted fine until just today i'm scared to even put new memory in it, I can yank out the sticks from the toshiba (the dell has a better proc and features) and stick em in the dell but i don't want to ruin all my memory.
Just do as I suggested above and pull all the memory then re-test 1 stick at a time (all in the same slot in case there's an issue with one of the actual slots on the laptop).

my worry is that these issues may have something to do with eachother and i just have a brick. i don't have the money to replace the ssd AND the memory at the same time.

but yeah, after the test i'll look for crash dumps.
Well that's why we're troubleshooting to find out the exact cause ;). Sounds more like a memory issue than an SSD issue, though.

i feel better, thank you very much for the info.

i'm gonna skip the logs for now and i'll use one slot both sticks, then if needed, second slot both sticks and see what happens, i'm more than willing to scavenge my toshiba for the dells speed. maybe keep one stick in both until payday.

Well, you were right, took one out and ran a passing memtest, but now I have to test the slot where I pulled the failing ram to see if it's the slot. Depending on that, I'll try some rars and zip files and a graphic intensive game to see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom