Laptop Cooler - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Laptop Cooler

So I've got a Belkin Laptop cooler stand for my 15.6" laptop. However it's broken some how and stopped working. Frankly, I'm not inclined to get it fixed via warranty, as it wasn't a particularly good fan. The base of it get breaking and dropping down if it wasn't held at a specific height setting, and the fan wasn't as high powered as I'd have liked to keep it cool.

Ergo, I'm here to get a fan recommendation from anyone. UK based, so anything from Amazon.co.uk / eBuyer / Aria PC etc etc. Price really isn't an issue. I just want something to keep this baby cool, so I can run dual EVE instances.

Note: I've already ordered a can of air to spray my insides clean anyway, but a fan will still be needed.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Laptop Cooler

I have this one: Targus Lap Chill Mat 17-inch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

The same one, but I'm in the US. I does a good job of cooling, near silent operation. Runs from a USB cord.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just Epic.

how effective are these coolers? my brother has a HP laptop and it always overheats, he can only play minecraft for about half an hour before it overheats.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

It depends on so many variables. Dust is the #1 cause of heat in a laptop. Air ducts must be kept open for ultimate cooling.

All these pads do is keep it elevated, so that hot air can rise through the vents. The fans are dissipating the heat from underneath. There,fore, forcing air out.

And if you are overheating after playing MC for 30 mins, you need to turn down settings that your brother's laptop can handle. Also, HP laptops are not made for gaming.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I have this one for my laptop. Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Notebook Cooler Model NotePal U3 R9-NBC-8PCK-GP It works pretty well. Comes with two movable fans. I cut one off and posistion the one under the outlet of the heatsink. I still have the other fan and will use it if the first ever goes out. I use an air can to blow as much of the dust out as I can very often.
CPU-6100 3.3 Ghz Black Edition, MB ASUS CrossHair V, GPU Galaxy GTX 560ti X2, G.Skill Sniper 1866 4x4GB, PSU SilverStone SST-ST1000-P, WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1TB x2, Monitor ASUS 258VE LED BackLit, ASUS 12x BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer, IWIN BUC case, SteelSeries MERC KeyBoard,NetGear DGND3700 N600 Wireless ADSL2+
Old 10-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Just Epic.

I know HP laptops arebt meant for gaming but unfortunately it is all he has until Christmas, turning down the settings will be hard as the are already as low as they can be. Lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I quite like that Cooler Master one. I'll see about finding it on a UK site.

I also do need to get the dust out of this. I tried yesterday, but didn't have much look taking the back off. :/
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

The least you can do is get a can of air and blow on the side vents.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I've already ordered a can to spray it with. I'll probably just take it in anyway now. When I was unscrewing stuff to trake the back of, I disconnected my CD drive somehow, and now it makes a terrible sound when I was putting music onto my sisters iPod. :/ So I'll get my local computer shot to spray it with their air machine to clean it out.

Alongside that, I apparently need a new battery. I've had mine used while charging for so long, that it's completely ruined my battery. Only works @ 35% capacity apparently.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Well, I've ordered the Coolermaster from play.com. Looks great. I'm especially eager to try the moveable fans.

Closed Thread