Help w/Laptop Cooling Options - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Help w/Laptop Cooling Options

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS M1710 and I live in an extremely hot apartment. As such, the laptop has been over-heating during a couple of the games that I play.

I have a fan running behind the laptop, but that doesn't seem to help. Does anyone know of any good cooling options? I've been looking at laptop cooling pads, but I've had a hard time trying to determine which is the best to purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 06-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Help w/Laptop Cooling Options

I have this same model. Install this program and set the fans to run constantly. I also use a Vantec laptop cooler. You must get a cooler model that blows to the bottom, not one that sucks air away. My CPU temps rarely go over 60c.

Dell Inspiron Inspiron/Latitude/Precision fan control

Also get a can of canned air and blow the dust out of both heatsinks often.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for the response.

I downloaded the program and forced the fans to run constantly. I think I did it right anyway... the temps dropped by about 10c.

I am also looking for a cooling pad that sucks the heat away, rather than blowing air into the laptop.

Thank you!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abgrund View Post
Thank you for the response.

I am also looking for a cooling pad that sucks the heat away, rather than blowing air into the laptop.

Thank you!
You are making a mistake by getting the wrong cooler. You need a cooler that blows the same direction as the laptops fans. With the cpu/cooler fans bucking each other a vacuum will be created thus a hotter CPU/GPU. The bottom of my M1710 never gets hot.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurrentEweser View Post
You are making a mistake by getting the wrong cooler. You need a cooler that blows the same direction as the laptops fans. With the cpu/cooler fans bucking each other a vacuum will be created thus a hotter CPU/GPU. The bottom of my M1710 never gets hot.
Oh, I misread your original response. I will look for the one you are suggesting.

Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

If you look at the reviews for coolers at Newegg, you'll see many of the negative reviews are from the ones who got coolers that blew the wrong direction. Strange that the reviews are the only place where you'll find which direction the fans blow. None of the coolers I know of allow the fans to be reversed.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The model I chose has an AC adapter for the fan power. I don't like the USB powered ones because USB devices that require power just add to the heat generated the laptops 5v power supply.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah, I was having a hard time figuring out which the fans blew when I was looking through coolers on Newegg.

It is indeed strange that the product specifications never mention it.

Closed Thread