Do I need a new netbook battery? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Do I need a new netbook battery?

I'm currently trying to decide if I should spend the $50+ for a new battery.

I have had an acer netbook for a little over a year. I used to fully charge it up, and then unplug it and let the battery run down all the way. Well for the last couple months, I have always left it plugged in since it would only be able to charge up fully to 14%. I also bought a cooling fan unit that would hook up beneath it since it would get too hot.

The last couple weeks I had to continually adjust the wire charger into the netbook before it would finally start charging.

About a week ago, I of course had the charger plugged into the netbook, but it was no longer recognizing it, and wouldnt charge at all, and now wont turn on at all.

I'm no computer expert, so do you think replacing the battery with a new one would fix the problem, or does it sound like an internal problem with this netbook?

It's not like I always carry this on go, but always stays in on my desk so have never dropped it or anything to that effect.

This same thing happened to my last laptop, in almost the same exact fashion as this netbook in that I mean once the battery got too low, I would have to continually adjust the charger port into the computer until it would finally start charging until it would no longer charge and I couldnt turn it on anymore.

Thanks for any replies

Old 12-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My (old) inspiron 1300 does this. I always have to hold it in strange ways for it to charge. I never know when I'll have the right angle. It is the jack itself, not the charger or the battery. Buy a new jack for your model and have it replaced? They are cheaper than $50.

Might want to get yourself a new charger as well. Just in case the one you have is damaged. Mine became damaged after a lot of tugging and adjusting.
Closed Thread