motherboard burned up, need to know why, and I have a few clues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default motherboard burned up, need to know why, and I have a few clues

I just built a new computer with an nforce 4 motherboard, but when I pushed the power button, smoke came from the computer. The first step that I took was to find out which part of the computer got burned, and wasn't working. I unplugged everything except the cpu, cpu heatsink fan, and the 2 cords that come from the power supply tht go to a 2x2 pin square like slot, and a wide (10x2?) pin slot. The computer still didn't turn on when it was set up like this. Then I took the processor and heatsink out, and it still didnt start. I found out that the cord between the psu and the 2x2 power slot on the motherboard (which I think gives power to the cpu circuit) had a strange design where half way down the cord, there was a slot to plug something in, where if it wasn't plugged in, the 2x2 slot on the motherboard wouldnt recieve power. What this means is that the (as far as I know) cpu circuit didnt recieve any power. shortly after I plugged a new power supply in to the motherboard, and it didnt work, so I assume the motherboard is fryed. Was it the lack of power to the cpu circuit that burned the motherboard, or something else I did? I just want to make sure that when I get a new motherboard, and plug in a new power supply the same way, except this time giving power to the cpu circuit, something wont burn again.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Have you inspected the Mobo for "burn marks"? You need to do that so you have some idea where on the mobo the damage was done. It was bad from the getgo, maybe.? Please give me the manufacturer of the psu and the exact model number of the mobo. I'd like to look more closely at what you are trying to describe.

Noli Nothis Permittere Te Terere!!
EVGA 680i, Dual EVGA 8800GT'S (650/950), 4 gigs OCZ DDR2 1066, Intel Q9450 at 3.8 Ghz, Koolance Water Cooled, Dual Plextor16x DL DVD+/-RW. Dual WD 250gb 16mb Cache Sata 3.0. 3DMark06 score = 19,168.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

- the system specs are an nforce 4 motherboard, a 620 watt sky hawk psu, amd 64 3700, 2 512 sticks of ram, 7800 gtx graphics card, audigy 2, and a 200 gig hard drive (serial ata).
Closed Thread