Fan cooling - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Joeisalsocool

Im running at 25C idle and 35C load, but Im not as fast as you guys.

Old 10-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

you are running a pentinum, they dont run as hot as AMD

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 10-10-2004, 11:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Even though my CPU really isn't even a comparison to yours, im getting 44C while sitting here idly, and it stays fairly constent, even while loading big games like Doom3 or Battlefield vietnam I will reach maybe a max of 55C. I am using the stock HSF that came with my chip, and 2 exaust fans, 1 intake.
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 10-10-2004, 11:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Joeisalsocool

What are the heat limits for AMD, I've been looking into them, Im just afraid they'll overheat on me.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Techie

Anything that is not stock and from a reputable company will not over heat, if you apply it correct. Look into the one i said earlier.

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 10-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via MSN to wongb18c

OK, I know that my cpu is running a little hotter than normal since I've clocked it at 2.0 ghz and this is the first time I've clocked it since I bought this damn thing about a year ago. It's only a small increase in speed and it's already overheating..... and it's only a 2400+ xp, the regular operating freq. is only 1.5 ghz. I'm a little bit unclear why the processor is listed at 2400+ but it's regular operating freq is only 1500..... and that when I clock it to 2000, then I already get overheating problems. If I clock it to 2400 [which I don't even dare to], I'll probably burn the thing out.... why does AMD have the frequencies for their cpu's listed one speed but the actual operating speed is always lower? Sorry for what seems like an obvious question but I'm still in the dark with a lot of computer hardware stuff.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex81388
I would be more worried about the exposure to dust and other things blowing in there (ie small speice of tin foil, things of that nature).
Dust get into system regardless. It really comes down to how much dust your computer room attracts. Hence the reason why I have Jury Rigged my own can filters on my box.

I would be worried about some of the wild life gatting in there. The odd roach or rat. Or the pet cat thinking that the CPU fan is a fun thing to play with.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 10-11-2004, 01:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

the AMD 2400 is comparable to a 2.4 P4 even though the official clock speed is lower. and 2ghz from 1.5ghz is a BIG step up, HUGE in fact. That's a freaking 25% jump.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by wongb18c
OK, I know that my cpu is running a little hotter than normal since I've clocked it at 2.0 ghz and this is the first time I've clocked it since I bought this damn thing about a year ago. It's only a small increase in speed and it's already overheating..... and it's only a 2400+ xp, the regular operating freq. is only 1.5 ghz. I'm a little bit unclear why the processor is listed at 2400+ but it's regular operating freq is only 1500..... and that when I clock it to 2000, then I already get overheating problems. If I clock it to 2400 [which I don't even dare to], I'll probably burn the thing out.... why does AMD have the frequencies for their cpu's listed one speed but the actual operating speed is always lower? Sorry for what seems like an obvious question but I'm still in the dark with a lot of computer hardware stuff.
The default running frequency for a 2400 is 1.8ghz, thus when you have it running at 2.0ghz, you are overclocking it. OC results in the chip running warmer than it otherwise would.

The way AMD chips work are as follows. The number designated to a chip, 2400, in your case does not mean that is the clock speed, it means that it runs comperable, and often better than a 2.4ghz intel chip. But the clock speeds of that chip are not at 2.4ghz. Just like in my system, I have a 3200, it is clocked at 2.2ghz, but out performs an intel 3.2ghz. Its just that AMD's technology is better than intel, so they dont have to have the clock settings as high.

So basicaly you have over clocked your chip with out knowing it. You chip is susposed to run at 1.8ghz, it can be OCed, but you need better cooling to OC a chip. Thus I proposed that you invest in the hsf combo that I found the link for a few posts back.

I hope that helps.

EDIT:

One thing that would help, is your chip a AMD Mobil Athlon 2400 XP, or AMD Athlon 2400 XP?

each of these have different clock settings. Which one you have would help me out to answer your questions.

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 10-11-2004, 04:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via MSN to wongb18c

Quote:
Originally posted by ohGrFreak
the AMD 2400 is comparable to a 2.4 P4 even though the official clock speed is lower. and 2ghz from 1.5ghz is a BIG step up, HUGE in fact. That's a freaking 25% jump.
I see and agree with your point...

Quote:
Originally posted by AND_YOU_ARE
The default running frequency for a 2400 is 1.8ghz, thus when you have it running at 2.0ghz, you are overclocking it. OC results in the chip running warmer than it otherwise would.
Now that I think about it that's right, it operates at 1.8ghz not 1.5ghz.... so it's only a 200mhz increase.... which shouldn't heat up so bad. But whatever... anyways, it's fine now with the fan... with the thing oc's and running at full it's only about 43C. Does the AMD 64 cpu's run considerably cooler? I'm upgrading soon anyways.

It's a AMD 2400+ XP..... not a mobile whatever...