USB mouse not detected? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default USB mouse not detected?

Hey all,

Just did a reformat on my PC and when I get into windows my USB mouse is not detected. It worked fine before the format. I have USB mouse support enabled in BIOS. When I throw a PS/2 adapter on the mouse it works. But when I turn off the PC the mouse still stays lit up. I tried a couple other USB mice and the same thing happened.

I should be fully updated to SP3 running XP pro. Is there a certain file that runs the mouse? Any ideas on a fix?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: USB mouse not detected?

Have you made sure to install all the updated drivers? Especially chipset drivers?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes, I installed all drivers from my motherboard CD right after the XP install. I'm using a Mouseman Wheel by Logitech. I've used it on 4 PC's without ever needing to install drivers for it. Didn't see drivers for it on the Logitech site. When I plug the mouse into the USB port it does light up but will not function. It just feels like I need some type of USB mouse drive installed. I did verify I am updated through service pack 3.

Any other ideas are appreciated.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Hello,

the chipset drivers control the USB Ports. So if the chipset driver was on the disk then you should be all set. If not find a updated version for your motherboard.

Cheers,
Mak

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 08-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks, I found an updated driver for the chipset. I reinstalled it, rebooted, and this time it said "missing file "mouhid.sys" . I scanned on my other PC and found it in the windows/system32/drivers folder. However, I was hard locked on the machine I'm having trouble with, keyboard would not work. I rebooted and used PS/2 mouse, went into XP and copied the mouhid file into the system32/drivers directory. Reinstalled chipset drivers, rebooted, and mouse still did not work.

This is a fresh install and it seems like windows did not install some drivers for USB support it was supposed to or something. Any other ideas? Was I supposed to copy the mouhid.sys file to another directory?

Hey guys, I wanted to finalize the post. I copied the mohid.sys file to the windows/drivercache/i386 folder and then reinstalled chipset and rebooted and this time it detected the USB mouse. What a pain in the butt. But it's working now, and the mouse lights actually turn off when the system is powered down.

Thanks for the help! The chipset driver reinstall was the key to figuring out what file was missing so could not have figured it out without the tip.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Well at least you managed to get it working. Glad to know it works now.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Closed Thread