Satellite p205 Issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellFireRS

Baseband Member
Im working on a laptop right now and im having the hardest time figuring out what the exact problem is... quick rundown...:

Computer turns on...
Sits at Phoenix Bios option screen for a normal period of time...
Then begins to Beep...non-stop...i know all about beep codes but this is an interesting one. The beeping wont stop unless you hit the F8 key.

Going back a few steps.. This computer had Vista on it...wouldnt load what so ever..i managed to get XP on it...

To contune...

After you hit the F8 key a few times it moves on to the normal Windows XP loading screen..
Windows comes up..LOOKS normal...but has a mind of its own.. When you click start it wont let you select a specific applet...it will only stay on what ever one is at the top left of the start menu.

If you manage to get into a folder, same thing happens, can only click on the icon thats on the top left...

Also.. Most of the keys on the k/b dont work....
The key pad works, but most of the normal keys do not, like Enter, delete and many others...allthough all of the F(x) Keys work.

Talking to the customer i managed to squeeze out some info.... for some reason she was runnin on external power, no batt in, and she admitted she leaves it plugged in 24/7. recently she said shes had a series of power flux'es which even scrambled her garage door opener.

The RAM is fine, The HD seems to be fine, the only thing im guessing it could be is the MOBO.

I need some more opinions though...

This is mostly for my own sake, i told her that weather its the mobo or HD its gonna cost her a bit. She has more money then god so she didnt care and actually asked me to go with her to purchase a new computer, and ill be keeping this one. So knowing if its the mobo for sure will save me time and money, and ill get a nice new P205-s6267 W/ 4GB of ocz ram out of it.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for responces.

I'm thinking the power fluxes may have fried something on the mobo as well. Have you tried any other operating systems, like a Linux Live CD or Freedos Live CD? Try those two out just to make sure the cursor and keyboard issues are hardware. I'd do that, it's easy enough.

I doubt the keyboard is broken b/c of the other problem's you're having, namely the cursor issue and the relentless beeping at start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom