Power Supply Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kayber

Beta member
I was cleaning out my PC this weekend and installing this old soundblaster card I had from another PC. Well I was working on the PC this weekend when I smelled this burning smell. So I put my hand on the case over by where the power supply was. It was extremely hot. So I turned it off and took it apart again. Yanked out the soundcard and blew out any dust that might have still be around the power supply. The fans all worked fine and were cleaned out.

After I took the sound card out I let the PC sit for 40 minutes running. It wasn't nearly has hot as it was. I mean it was very hot with the card in and not even close to the heat without the card. Is it possible the card was causing it to heat up? I have a 450 wat power supply.

Yes its quite strange and I'm new to this hardware stuff. I just wasnt sure a sound card could overheat a power supply?

Kayber said:
Yanked out the soundcard and blew out any dust that might have still be around the power supply. The fans all worked fine and were cleaned out.

u should open up the PSU and get rid of any dust that may be sitting on the capacitors and resistors. but i dont think it ur PSU overheating , go into ur BIOS and check ur motherboard temps and CPU temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom