Notebook Fan Speed Controller - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Notebook Fan Speed Controller

Hey people,

I have a problem. Got a desktop and a notebook.

I've installed cooling fans on my desktop, and have downloaded SpeenFan to control the fan speeds and it works fine and dandy!!

Thing is, my notebook is also running warm, and so I installed SpeedFan on it, to try and up the speed of the fan, (as it is running at a low speed), but I can't control the fan. I've just downloaded Notebook Hardware Control 1.9, and still I am unable to control the fan speed.

It may be that my notebook does not support this feature, however, it seems strange, as its quite a new notebook, much newer than my desktop, so I would have thought it possible to do.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 1691WMLi.

If anyone could please advise me if I can control the system fan, and how, I would be most grateful!!!

P.S. I'm looking to buy a cooling pad for my notebook, but would like to know how to control the fan speed nonetheless!!!

Thank you!!

Old 04-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Not all computers & notebooks have fans that can be controlled via software. Best thing to do (before cooling pad) is to just be sure that all of the vents are clear of obstructions and dust that would impact airflow, thus raising the temperature.

Gaming Laptop: - ASUS K501LX-EB71 - Stock (Wife's) - Gateway P-6860FX - Stock (Mine)
General Laptop: - Sony Vaio SVE141D1L - Stock (Mine)
Gaming Rig: BACK ONLINE!! ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell (Stock Cooling), HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I may be wrong, but aren't the fans controlled from the motherboard, by varying the voltage and/or current sent to the fan? I jsut bought a real cheap fan for my computer, it does not have a speed function on the fan, yet I am able to control the speed via its connection to the motherboard.

It just seems strange that, a modern motherboard for a centrino processor does not have this function, yet, the motherboard in my desktop, which is for a P4 processor, and is over 2 years old, can!

Surely there must be someway to achieve this!

Please help!
Closed Thread