my computer hung :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
hello

my computer seemed to hang an hour back, i was not getting anything on my screen, but the pc continued to hum, i hit the reset button and the computer did the BIOS check and all, then it displayed the loading windows xp screen and then went blank, i hit reset a second time, and got the same result, reset a third time prodcued the same result, the fourth time i managed to get the windows login screen. everytime the pc seemed to go dead right after the num lock, caps lock, scroll lock lcd's flashed. the pc was humming though

do you guys know what the problem could be?

is my hard disk on its way out?

have u tryed a different video card usually over heated video cards will produce the same symptoms.

dont seem like a harddrive problem either video card overheating or you could have some corrupted boot files try a repair from the windows xp cd

no i am using the same video card that i have been using for last couple of years

how can i know if there are some corrupted boot files?

hello i restarted my machine and it did it again.

the first time i got a blank screen for a minute, i hit the reset button and then next time around it went right through and gave me the login screen

can u get into windows desktop?? if u can click on start then run type cmd when the command prompt comes up type in sfc /scannow make sure u have your xp cd in your cd drive sfc= system file checker

if this dont do nething try a different video card to cancel out that its not your video card

thanks for the reply

what happens if i do the scannow without the windows xp cd in my drive?

the scan wont work sfc checks your system files and if there corrupted they will be replaced from the xp cd so if u dont have it in the drive the scan wont work and replace corrupted files

If you do change video cards like Diamond mentioned make sure you completly uninstall the old video card drivers and install new ones with the new card replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom