Laptop problems

hOuSaKi

Beta member
Disclaimer: Im a novice with computer hardware

Hello. Recently my custom-made laptop shut down when I was sleeping and wouldnt turn back on. I assumed it was a power issue but after much troubleshooting it turns out to be a hardware problem. However, I did get the laptop running again for a small period of time (if it had overheated and blown as a result, surely it wouldnt have run at all?) which makes me question the following:

I gave the laptop to a shop for repairs. After some time, the shop returned to me telling me the mobo has blown due to dust underneath it resulting in it overheating. Some weeks before the laptop died, I did a clean out, however it wasnt a thorough clean out, due to not wanting to remove the hardware for lack of understanding on how to put it back together. Note that I hadnt cleaned out the laptop for a year before this (I know, bad maintenance, shame on me).

One of the reasons they gave for this is the laptop fan is situated on the underbelly of the laptop itself. I understand that fan accumulates dust regardless of where the fan is and restricting the air flow will cause heating problems. However my laptop has sat on a desk with an Akasa USB double-fan ridged board for the entire time ive had it, limiting the heating problems.

My questions to you are:

How feasible is it that the mobo overheated, given that I hadnt cleaned it out for a year without temperature problems?

If I replace the mobo (to much financial distress), how difficult is it to clean out under the motherboard? If this is do-able, how often would I need to do it?

If I replace the mobo and I need to clean out the fan under the hardware, id have to take out the hardware anyway.

Any other thoughts or input you have would be GREATLY appreciated.

I appreciate that there's a lack of information here in regards to the makes of the hardware itself, but im just looking for general advice to try and come to a decision on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

With reference to the problem that you discuss in your post is a problem that I have heard many times before. If possible could you please provide the following information so that I can provide some suggestions.

1. When you use the laptop, where is the laptop placed?
2. Where do you store the laptop when it is not being used?

Back
Top Bottom