Game Crashed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Game Crashed

Hi, I was playing Fable on all max settings at 1024 x 768 resolution and my game all of a sudden just crashed to a black screen, with a buzzing noise coming from my speakers. I then had to unplug my computer in order to turn it off. I just bought a new video card to play this on max settings, and so this is the first time it crashed. I was wondering if anyone knew what the problem is and how i might be able to fix it. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

What video card do you have and what power supply are you using. If it is not a driver issue, then it probably has to do with not having enough power for that video card.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I have a Geforce 7800 GS, and I am not sure what my power supply is. It came with my Dell and it doesn't show the watts, but my friend got me a 400 watt power supply. I don't have it installed yet though.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

So if I install the new PSU, do you think that my game wouldn't crash anymore?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

that depends on wether its amper rating are good enough to power up your entire system stable and if its a quality psu or a cheapo , it indid sounds like the psu but why wont you make sure it really is just to be 100% sure
download everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html goto computer-->sensor and take a screenshot , or alternativly measure the voltages with a digital multimeter for bit more accurate readings
http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/ , of course report back with the voltages
Old 03-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

it could also be a heat issue.
the 2 main reasons for crashing like that is overheating (more so if you are overclocking) and a low quality PSU

first I'd try and find if your card has a temperature sensor, so you can tell how hot it is getting. that way if it is because of heat, you won't have wasted money on a PSU you didn't need.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

good grief, don't go jumping to conclusions . who says it is even a hardware/software issue if this has only happened once. if it happens again report back here with any new info you might have. programs and games do crash sometimes seemingly without reason so don't fret until we know there is a problem
Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Hey, jeremy, is there any way I could show you what you need to see using Sandra, because I don't want to download another program?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Monster Techie

as far as i remember from another thread , sandra dont support your mobo sensor so youll have to use another program (like everest link ^) or get into the bios and look in pc health/hardwar e monitoring

Closed Thread