Do I need to format this HD - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Do I need to format this HD

Ok so just delete all the partitions on the HD currently and create one NTFS partition?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

yup

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok I will probably do it later today if I can get the rest of the family off the computer. Would it hurt to unplug the 160 (where the OS is) while doing it so I don't mess it up accidently?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

It is a good practice to do so. Just make sure the boot order is correct when you plug it back in.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

no it won't hurt just plug it back in when you boot. and since there's no OS going on it the boot order shouldn't need to be changed.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

To Peter.Cort - I am not trying to format the one with the OS (that is installed on this PC), it's the 80 GB I want to format.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

right, i understand that, the 160gb drive will still be drive 0 so it won't look any further for an OS so you won't need to change the boot order.

I was more responding to MoM's statement.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok makes sense now.

EDIT: Well I did it and it worked great. It only took probably 5 minutes total to do it. I have started moving files over already. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Prelude92

good to read through a successful thread. have fun with it!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks I will.

Closed Thread