Burner screwy - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Indeed.

Default Burner screwy

I was burning an audio cd, and I noticed it being a little slow. Then it got to 'fixating disc' near the end and the red led on the front of the burner shut off. I canceled it, and when the drive wouldn't open I had to use a paperclip in the little hole. When it opened I heard the disc grind to a stop and there was a slight humming noise coming from it. I took out the disc and shut the tray by pushing it back in, and when I stood up the computer was frozen. I pulled a reset, and everything is pretty much back to normal, the burner flashed green when I booted up and opens and everything, but I was wondering if this was happens when they burn out? It's not that old of a burner, but it was only a $20 'eXact' brand CD-RW drive. I am afraid to try another disc since I dont want it to freeze again.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would save my money for something better. A dual-layer Sony DVD burner/CD-RW is only about $60.

Sounds to me like the motor is about the bind up or fry - the one that spins the disc. What you're experiencing there is not "typical" for a new drive.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Indeed.

I actually don't burn things very often, so if it is broken I probably won't even replace it for a while. I have a DVD-ROM drive also, so im not too worried about that.

It could be the motor, but when I opened it it was still spinning, so im not sure if that's what it is.

Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I never used to burn things very often, but once I bought one of these cool Sony burner's, I find myself making backups of my documents and code, all the time.

I also was given an All In Wonder Card recently (ATI), and have been recording, and then burning to DVD the morning TV shows for my 1 year old to watch in the evening.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Indeed.

That would be pretty nice to be able to do things like that, but right now I don't want to spend the extra money on a new burner, let alone blank DVDs if I got a DVD burner.

Closed Thread