Brand new HP Pavillion s3514 broken.... - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: Brand new HP Pavillion s3514 broken....

You want the 3.5" enclosure. That's the standard desktop hard drive size. Those smaller sizes are for notebook hard drives.

EDIT: - VANTEC NST-300S2-BK Aluminum 3.5" Black USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
Private Joker

Originally Posted by rebeccagiunio View Post
Hey carnage!

Wow that sounds cool and I reckon I could probably do that.
So just to clarify... I would remove the Hard Drive from the PC, put it in one of those external case thingys and hook it up to the laptop just like an external hard drive?
Yep, that's essentially what you'd need to do. You'd be turning your internal drive into an external drive.

I have just done a google search for a hard drive external enclosure / SATA and there seems to be different sorts.
2.0 2.5 3.0 etc, which one would I need ?
Like surgeVel said, you'll need an enclosure for 3.5" drives. Since you're not from the US, you won't be able to use Newegg (I'm assuming you're not from the US, because the model of the PC I pulled up was only for UK/It). So you should be able to go to an electronics store, or a computer shop near you and see if they ahve one, otherwise you'll have to order one online.

So I could then remove all my files and photos to the laptop, put the Hard drive back in the PC and send it back for repair or replacement?

Yep, exactly. Just make sure you get all of your important documents before you send it in (triple check yourself to be sure).

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh you guys are brilliant thank you!

So I have had a look around, the cheapest store bought one is £34.99 which is like 70USD!

I found this one I can get online for £15.99 Allcam USB2 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure USB 2.0 External Case Aluminium OneTouck Backup: Electronics & Photo

Could you please just confirm that this would be good for what i need. also if you see a better one on that page, let me know.

I really appreciate all your help guys thank you so much!

Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

That's exactly what you'd need, yep.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks Jorsoft... I have just ordered one!

My very final is once I have all my business files off it and onto my laptop.... I dont want them to be on that machine when I send it in for repair. I think it is likely they'll just give me a new one anyway, So how can I get rid of all my financial info, acocunts info and business files off that hdd for good? Everything apart from the keys to my house is in that machine and I don't want any criminal down the line getting hold of it when they buy my refurbed PC! I'm worried about what to wipe off because i don't have any reinstallation discs... the backup was integrated. I don't want to send it in for repair and then they think i have been messing round with it!

Thank you in advance

Closed Thread