1st time builder: Incurred an odd problem. Please help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravirex

Beta member
Hello everyone. I need hypothetical solutions to this problem because I already sent back the mobo to get a new one through newegg. Here is what happened:

I recieved all of my parts and had an IT technician help me put the computer together. He made sure all my fan wires and powere wires were connected. Showed me how to hook up my dvd drive and hard drive. I properly applied a thin layer of thermal past to the cpu and installed the fan. When I turned on the computer we passed the bios screen and installed windows vista. Everything was running smoothly. After that I installed the drivers from the disk that came with the motherboard. It had audio drivers it installed, and those installed fine. After that restart, I wanted to install a wireless internet conection. Mind you my network adapter and keyboard adapter are usb hook ups, and they are hooked up in the back of my computer when my computer is turned on. My technician buddy downloads the file I need for wireless internet off a computer behind us. When he introduces the jump drive to the front of my case (where there are two usb ports), my computer does a random restart and the dvd drive starts making a funny sound. Then everything appears to be working normally. I had a hard time installing the drivers off of the USB. The install would keep freezing and wouldnt install. The computer was running normally after the trial and error of installing the wireless internet. We got the wireless internet installed, restarted, and it booted up fine. We left the computer on and went out to eat after that. When we got back, everything was still working and I installed World of Warcraft. No problems. I got on and played a little bit and turned it off before going to bed.

In the morning, I wake up and turn on the computer. Windows freezes. So I do a manual restart, and blank. I'm very very depressed at this point. I would turn it back on and the dvd was making that wierd noise like it was trying to read a disk, but there was no signal to my screen. So I start tinkering. I take the dvd drive out and start it up. Hey a bios screen, but it freezes on bios. Hmmm...ok. Restart manually. It asks me do I want to run windows normally. I keep pressing enter, but it isn't recognizing my keyboard that is hooked up to a usb port. Then it doesn't even get to windows. Take out the HD and restart, and it won't go past the BIOS logo screen. Put the HD back, restart, and nothing. Also note, during all of these restarts, the LED lights on my ram and in front of the case are lighting up. The fans are on. The HD and DVD drive would boot up (but anytime the DVD drive was connected it would make that funny noise). So, to test all the parts I could, I tested my HD, Ram, Vid card on the other computer. They worked just fine on the other computer. Even with windows Vista.

Finally I hooked everything back up to my comp. I get to the bios screen. YES! PROGRESS! I go to the boot order and it starts counting down numbers in a line at the top of the screen. Then it starts counting down numbers with letters across the top of the screen. Then it just freezes. I try to turn it back on with a manual restart. Fans on. DVD drive on making a funny sound, HD on, RAM leds lit up, Fans on. What the heck happened in one day for this to happen?

I was so confused, I assumed it was the MOBO and sent it back. I would like to know possible fixes if I run into the same problem again. Thanks in advance.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - ASUS (Dual Panels) BLACK Drive+ WHITE Panel 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3 - CD / DVD Drives

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD1601ABYS 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Rosewill Wind Ryder RZLS142A-P YE Dual 120mm Cooling Fans and Mesh Design Front Panel Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Other items ordered were Windows Vista 64 bit Home ED and Arcitic Silver 5 Thermal Paste. I also have a Nvidia Geforce 7900 ko graphics card (EVGA)

There are no sure fixes until you figure out what the problem is. I would have started with only booting with 1 stick of RAM in and no other peripherals attached except your keyboard, mouse, video card and monitor. Take out the wireless card etc. and all other USB devices.

Sounds random and the dvd drive making wierd noises should not stop it from posting or cause random lock ups at variouse points.
first thing i would do is bust out the mobo manual and go over every single connection you made and then what Baez suggested with the ram.
But your dvd sounds like a seperate issue it would not explain the jump drive issue or the windows lock up along with the post locking up as far as i am aware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom