186celcius temp on my processor, wtf?! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default 186celcius temp on my processor, wtf?!

So, i just completed my install of a Pentium 4 3.4ghz into an Intel D915pbl motherboard with the factory Intel heat sink and Artic Silver thermal paste.

I booted her up, everything came up normally. Downloaded some updates, let it sit at idle for appox. 4-5min. and restarted. i booted into BIOS to check everything out, and almost had a stroke when i saw the processor temp. at 186 degrees C.

I immediately assumed that the heat sink wasn't installed correctly/ too much thermal paste, so i reinstalled it, being sure to take my time and do it by the book.

The processor is running 97-105 in BIOS. The strange part is that even at the insanely high temps, the computer never shut off.

There is more than enough airflow in and out of the case, and the heat sink is almost cool to the touch afterwards.

Any past experience with this, suggestions, web sites would be great, PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to drum_man1952

186 C is 366 F approx. That is hot!!!

My AMD Athlon runs around 118 F most of the time. I have 4 80mm fans plus a 120mm fan running constantly. Sure it's noisy...but 118 is as high as I have seen.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

that has to be a faulty heat sensor because intel cpus downclock if they overheat and if needed shut off
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Yep. Faulty....or not setup correctly.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoobieRat
Yep. Faulty....or not setup correctly.

How would you go about setting up your heat sensor?

Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps i should go through to determine if the heat sensor is bad?
Old 01-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

Some mobos have a heat sensor that is not integrated into the socket. Read your manual for the mobo. I've seen people do some strange things with that little wire.

You don't need any trouble-shooting steps. If the sensor is integrated (or situated correctly if not), anyone will tell you that those temperatures are too high to be possible.

So either the sensor is bad, or your mobo isn't updated to the correct version. Make sure you have all the drivers for the mobo up to date, and check the BIOS version. On my mobo, it was reporting that my chip was running at nearly a thousand degrees C, because the mobo drivers had a bug and needed to be updated. Once I did, everything looked normal.

As I said above, check with the mobo manufacturers to see if they have any suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Average Plastics have a melting point of about 140 C. So if your CPU was 186C, chances are you would have a boiling CPU socket.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ditto. IM-FREAKIN-POSSIBLE!!! intel fan boys are going to get me for this but over the past month or 2 i have been sensing a distinct pattern in faulty temp sensors on intel boards judging by threads on the forum. i don't think i have seen a thread for faulty sensors on a 939 board yet.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

would be kinda cool to cook an egg of the cpu though....

Closed Thread