Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-18-2008, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 383
Default Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

Wanting to get a [snippet] quad core and some more ram. Is not a good time to upgrade, or do I wait? Is there something else on the horizon?
__________________

__________________
Enermax Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz - OC'd at 4.13Ghz Stable
ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 Motherboard
Zalman 750W Modular Power Supply w/ Heatpipe Cooling
Zalman 110MM 2 Ball CPU Cooler
eVGA GeForce GTX285 1GB Graphics Card
G.SKILL 6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speakers
SCEPTRE 22" Widescreen HDTV LCD
Wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
SAMSUNG SpinPoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
King$nake is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

theres always gonna be sumthin on the horizon otherwise, your paying alot for sumthing thats gonna drop soon after, its best not to worry bout when you upgrading unless your sure its within a month or so.

we are close to new cpus (bloomfield) and the will have the intergated memory controller like all the amd's do. so there is going to be a drop soon, how soon im not sure. all i no is they are expected for q3-4 this year.
__________________

__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 07-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

Quote:
Wanting to get a badass quad core and some more ram. Is not a good time to upgrade, or do I wait? Is there something else on the horizon?
The 2.66GHz Bloomfield will be around $285. Thats nice price in my opinion, but the problem is that you will have to buy the X58 motherboard to use it.

If you have the money for X58 then wait for Bloomfield. If not then upgrade to Q6600 or Q6700. I believe Q6600 will last you for at least 1 or 2 years
maroon1 is offline  
Old 07-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baron5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,984
Default Re: Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

thats is pretty good actually prob around 350 here
do you no when?
__________________
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

baron5 is offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 383
Default Re: Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

Do you think if I upgrade to the Q6700 Quad Processor and Ram, that I will see a dramatic difference in Flight Simulator X Performance?
__________________
Enermax Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16Ghz - OC'd at 4.13Ghz Stable
ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 Motherboard
Zalman 750W Modular Power Supply w/ Heatpipe Cooling
Zalman 110MM 2 Ball CPU Cooler
eVGA GeForce GTX285 1GB Graphics Card
G.SKILL 6GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speakers
SCEPTRE 22" Widescreen HDTV LCD
Wireless Logitech Keyboard and Mouse
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1
SAMSUNG SpinPoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
King$nake is offline  
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: Should I upgrade my processor now? Or wait?

Its quite CPU intensive at every resolution, however I don't know if it can read Quad-Cores
__________________

__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forseeable price drops? My possible upgrade plan. Trepkos New Systems | Building and Buying 3 12-04-2007 02:21 AM
Medium computer upgrade. muman System Upgrades 6 09-14-2007 04:53 PM
Upgrade Advice for my system Cheeseking25 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 07-25-2007 02:28 PM
Vista activation problem Max Power Microsoft Windows and Software 11 07-12-2007 04:01 PM
GPU, upgrade now or wait? TheDiceman New Systems | Building and Buying 21 05-04-2007 05:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.