RAID Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

camhabib

Baseband Member
So, I've posted questions about a RAID setup in a few different places, but I seem to be getting different answers from everyone. My question specifically pertains to a Mac Pro setup, but I'm more interested in just general information.

I'm picking up a new Mac Pro and I'm debating whether or not to get the RAID card option installed or not. Natively, the OSX can handle RAID 0, 1, and a makeshift 0+1 through software only implications, and requires a hardware controller for 5. The Mac Pro has four internal bays, all of which I am planning to fill, with drives that are yet to be determined.

My question is, what's the best option for someone looking mainly for speed, but that wants the security of a backup? I know that RAID 0 is the fastest, and that RAID 1 is the most secure, but thats where the facts end and the fuzziness starts. I've heard that adding a RAID card (specifically the Apple one), will not provide an increase to RAID 0 or 1 performance, but it will to RAID 0+1, and that RAID 5 is slower then 0+1. I've also heard statements to contradict all of this, so I'm a little unsure of what to believe.

I would like either a RAID 0+1 or 5, depending on which is overall faster. If the RAID 0+1 is faster, then whether or not the RAID card increases that speed determines if I go with the RAID card or not. Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom