Potential CPU Upgrade - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Slaymate's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

I would suggest starting out by buying a new case. Preferably a roomy mid-size or Full Tower. Then you'll be able to upgrade without all the limitations of that Craptacular piece of HP Engineering

Slaymate is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

That's true, this case is very small, hardly any room at all really. It seems like I have some looking around to do . Thanks for the input guys, I'll probably decide what I'm going to do in the next few days after some thinking time.

I lol'ed at your HP comment, pretty funny .

yzmxer608 is offline  
Old 09-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,534
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Not sure if this has been said, but the 940 will NOT work in your motherboard. Your motherboard has a TDP limitation of 95W. You could fit a new mATX board, as it looks as if the motherboard has a "standard" mATX layout.
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 : AMD FX 9370 : Corsair H100i GTX Cooler : 16GB Corsair Vengeance Blue 1600 (4x4Gb) : XFX 7970 Ghz 3GB x 2 : PNY XLR8 256GB SSD : Seagate 1TB : Antec True Power Quattro 1000W : Thermaltake G41
95BlackGA is offline  
Old 09-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 1,556
Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608
Default Re: Potential CPU Upgrade

Thanks for that, I think I abandoned that idea now though. Now that I've thought about it for a while I'll probably end up just getting a gpu heatsink and wait a while then build a new system. I was going to get a new motherboard but slay brought up a good point about the case, then if I got a new bigger case I would get a new bigger motherboard that would most likely not work with my processor, then I would need to get a new processor. Pretty much a whole new system then haha. So I'll just wait some until maybe the spring, or sooner if I want.

yzmxer608 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having major OS Dilemma & free upgrade win7 coupon rocknje Microsoft Windows and Software 1 07-18-2009 01:27 PM
Asus P5B board. CPU upgrade fadedstar System Upgrades 3 11-23-2008 10:53 PM
CPU upgrade (compatibility question) Timaphillips New Systems | Building and Buying 9 08-09-2008 05:09 AM
upgrade on GPU, CPU, PSU kur0suto New Systems | Building and Buying 31 09-06-2007 02:57 PM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2015 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.