New here...Got a question or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epitaph

Solid State Member
I'm going to be modding my current computer, if possible

I bought a dell XPS 410 a few years ago (just for school & very light gaming). It's unmodified atm, if you need pics just let me know.

Things to keep:
22" Monitor
cd/dvd drives

hard-drive and 2gb stick of ram are salvageable, but my hard-drive is making noises...everything is backed up.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My plans are to replace the Motherboard, PSU(it's a must), add more RAM, and add another GeForce 9800 GX2.

My cousin just gave me his 9800 that he bought on e-bay & wouldn't work on his...tested it on mine & everything was pretty, but too choppy, so I put the 7300 back in.

Right now I see a few screws on the motherboard, but I'm not going to touch it until I know that I can replace it, I can't really compare it to anything because I've never seen another one before

I figured I would come to you guys for some insight. What would be a good motherboard to use? I'm only wanting to use 2 Video Cards at the moment, I doubt I'll add more anytime soon. I've never overclocked before, and I don't want to spend too much money on cooling, but I'm willing to spend a bit more on cooling & some time learning to overclocking if need be, but I'd rather not mess with it if it's not going to be a noticeable difference.

So, just for now, what's a good motherboard that can handle my needs?

Thanks for the help =)

oh yeah, this is going to be for gaming, not hardcore (yet) but I want a system that's much faster than it is, and I want to be able to play most games on high if possible, but I'm not too picky.

a new mobo will probably not fit into the dell case because major manufacturers pc's (hp, dell, etc.) usually only use mobo's that only fit their cases.

a big thing that will determine what you upgrade is your budget. how much are you spending?

I was trying to see how much it was going to cost to just replace as few parts as possible, I'll figure something else out and let you know.

My budget is going to be about 2k, I was shooting for around 1k for the next 3 months since I don't have an income until August, I guess it won't hurt since technology gets cheaper =)

2k as in $2,000?

Yes, but I'm not going to spend extra on something just because. I'll post my build on here when I figure out the mobo. I guess I need to find something that explains them in a little more depth. I read a few of the stickies, but they only helped so much.

for $1000 to $1300 go Intel i7. You can spend more but it is not really necessary.

for $500 to $800 go AMD Phenom II.

Really those are you only two choices at this point in time. Figure out what cpu you want and then build the rest around it.

I would like to go i7, seems to be more friendly to overclocking if I ever decide to do that, and I won't have to worry about water cooling unless I decide to go all out. At least that's what I got from reading up on it.

That case only includes fans, a few USB ports & plenty of bays, right? Are those wires included as well?

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom