New board and sata drive! Read please! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Exclamation New board and sata drive! Read please!

I am about to buy a new Asus board, cpu, sata drive etc. Ive built many computers but i wanna be sure i do this 100%.
I want to copy my existing C drive (pata) to a new sata drive and then install that drive into the new motherboard and use that as the boot drive. I believe i know the procedures but i wanna be sure.
Ill use partition magic to copy my current c drive to the new sata drive. After setting up the new motherboard with the new drive in and other drives in similar fasion as on the old pc and ill boot with my XP sp2 cd and do a repair install. After this i should be bootable...correct??
Also, when i do boot up the new pc should i not install any other drives or pci cards? I guess the question here is should i make the configuration of the new pc almost exactly the same as with the old? (drives and cards)
All i am concerned with is getting my current c drive onto a new sata drive and getting it to boot without future problems. Anything after that i can handle, i hope.
Anyone any advice, please.

I have now an 80 gig pata maxtor drive and im getting a new maxtor maxline III sata drive.
Getting the Asus p5wd2 Premium Wifi mobo, p4 3.6 or p4 dual core 3.2 (not sure which yet), 1 gig ddr2 800

Old 09-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No one has any info at all?!???

Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

It's easier just to back up files on the old drive and replace them onto the new drive. That's just my thoughts...

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource:
Old 09-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It would be, but then i lose all my configurations and programs. And that is a lot. Im willing to try whatever necessary to make this work. "files" arent the problem, its all the other stuff.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I think dealing with driver problems and such will be more of a pain than backing up and starting from scratch.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Not if you saw all the programs and configurations ive made. Drivers shouldnt be an issue as far as i can see if i repair install from my xp sp2 cd.

Closed Thread