dual coe 3.0 vs single core 3.0 - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

thanks for the replies dudes
why should one stay away from pentium d?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
I'm pretty confident that encoding items and the flight simulator do not support dual-core CPU's, that is, unless you were talking about doing both simultaneously, in which, a dual-core processor would surely pull ahead. As already stated, dual-core is only useful when you are doing multiple things at one time that require a lot of "juice", or using an application or game that supports dual-core processors (basically, none, hopefully more items will support it soon though). So if you are constrained money wise, a single core will suffice. However, Intel has already dropped single core CPU's altogether in there newest line of CPU's, after the Pentium series is dropped (rather soon I'd imagine, before 2008 probably), all their CPU's will be dual and quad core. So in all honesty, a dual-core CPU is probably the way to go, as it's actually hard to find a solid single core CPU that is not overly priced (FX series for example ... )
the encoders i use support SMP and the example i mentioned was simultaneous gaming and encoding. many video encoders support SMP

edit: people don't like the pentium D's because they run very hot and use a lot of power. they also really don't compare with AMD's dual cores. however intel basically have the monopoly on low end dual cores.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

Quote:
the encoders i use support SMP and the example i mentioned was simultaneous gaming and encoding. many video encoders support SMP

edit: people don't like the pentium D's because they run very hot and use a lot of power. they also really don't compare with AMD's dual cores. however intel basically have the monopoly on low end dual cores.
Okay then, dual core FTW

And yea, unless you wait for Intel's Conroe, AMD's AM2 Athlon 64 x2 series is the way to go
Old 06-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Techie

all the dual core are 64 bit processors?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

All of AMD's CPU's are 64bit ... Whenever you see the "64" in the CPU name, it's 64 bit, but remember this only applies to AMD. For example, Sempron 64, Athlon 64, Athlon 64 x2.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to shdwsclan

Depends.....
Some software utilizes a single core...some software utilize multiple cores.....

Closed Thread