which way to point fan on CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
In regards to the CPU heatsink fan, I was wondering which way is the air supposed to blow on a CPU heatsink. Is it supposed to blow air outward and away from the heatsink, or is it supposed to blow towards the heatsink?

i disagree. i have mine blowing out from the heatsink directly into the exhaust fan of my case. ie sucking cool air over the heatsink and its fins.
i guess it really depends on which side your HS fan is on. if it is on the HS on the front of the case, it should blow through. if it is on the backside of the HS, it should blow towards the exhaust.

not my rig, but same as how I have mine setup
bbb33f28.jpg

not all heatsink/fans are the same.

some are designed to blow out the rear exhaust, some are designed to blow in many different directions at the same time (3DRocket)
and some are designed to blow out the side panel or suck in from the sidepanel.
some have 2 fans blowing in opposite directions, some have 2 fans blowing at each other.

it all depends on the heatsink you have.

wouldnt 2 fans blowing at each other be totally pointless? :D

not really, think of a cylinder. one fan at the top, one at the bottom, both blowing towards each other, now, when the air in both directions meets each other, it pushes out the sides in all directions, this was how my rocket worked.

but still, its a bad design when considering, this pushes warm air all thruout your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom