Upgradeing vs. Bye New, or Build. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Residential Loon
Question Upgradeing vs. Bye New, or Build.

Ive got a dilema.. Now its something like this..

Do I upgrade the Two systems I've got, build or bye a new tower system or go for a Laptop and cut out all the hassle all together.

I've got two michines that are running XP Home on one, and nothing on the other. The Systems are really low Speck.

The First system is a Dell Dimention 2350 P4. As to wich a was thinking upgrade the Chassis, DVD\CD RW Combo Drive to a DVDRW Drive. Add a Total of Two Gig DDR for Speed and Proformance.. Add a PCI Graphics for the extra boost, if I can manage to get one from the local surplyer on the Hi Street. And was goeing to add a 2.1 Basic speeker Set for Sound..

The Secong System av got is a AMD Sempron 2800+, 1GB DDR Ram, 2x 20 GB Hard Drives DVD\CD RW Combo Drive. No OS and in need of a VGA Graphics Card, wich me Local surplyer has got in Stock. NOW, thing is, was thinking of putting 2x 250GB Drives (IDE) in the this Tower with a VGA Card DVD RW, and a Genuine OS.

Was thinking of useing the Tower above (AMD System) as a Data Storage tower, via the Router.. But the Reason for the Upgrades was to Give me self a Project for the Best part of the Day, at the End of the Month.. Especially with the Upgrades to the Chassis on the Dell Dimention system.

The only Problem I can think of is cost, would it be worth getting the Most out of what av got. Or byeing a Laptop and cutting everything out and saveing the Hassle.. Just seems a Big shame to wast two Tower Systems with some Potential Left in them. Or again, the other Option could be to Build a verry Buget system with the Storage and ugradeability for newer tech.

The Systems are old, a know that but bye the Time a get them set up on a Home Network, for Data Reasons. and get the Rest of the Potential out of them, am woundering if it would be a better option to Upgrade than byeing a Laptop new, or Build\Bye a Buget system vs. the Two av got.

It will be Costy for the old Hardwere.

But a thought crossed me Mind, and that was av had a mate offer to Build is a Web Site and could use the AMD System to house the Site or the Dell. Mind you would have to decide what a wanted first but it was just a thought..

The XP Home System am Running for F@H, but could easly run the App on all three Michines.. The Only Draw back with the Dell (XP System) is the Measley 30Gig Hard Drive, as to why av never put anything on it other than the OS..

Old 01-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Upgradeing vs. Bye New, or Build.

That was quite hard for me to follow and understand. Likely due to my lack of sleep.
I would say build a computer unless you specifically need a laptop for it's portability.
What would your budget be?

Build to be updated, a reminder to myself.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Residential Loon
Default Re: Upgradeing vs. Bye New, or Build.

I would say build a computer unless you specifically need a laptop for it's portability.
What would your budget be?
Ive got a Buget of 320. But me local Surplyer has seid they can Build me one for a Bair Minimum of 220+, anything else I was thinking of putting towards Storage.. Do you not think it would be worth the Upgrades GhOsT1321? Mind you, will have to Check, if they can surply a OS for that. Will have to see how a am at the End of the Month. Thats why a was thinking Upgrades..

Closed Thread