Some upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

In Runtime
OK. My brother just bought Guild Wars, and while he was playing it, the computer suddenly shut-down. It automatically rebooted, and the first thing I ran was SpeedFan, knowing my PC case has Horrible air circulation. It was at 65C, which is about 20C more than idle. I thought the whole system had just overheated, but then I got a message saying my Intel Graphics Driver had malfunctioned and Windows had recovered succesfully from the problem. So, first thing I ask, I need a new graphics card (don't want to keep crashing my pc), and the best thing I've found is a GeForceFx5500. I only have PCI slots, so nothing top of the line for me. Anyways, this card is from eVGA, and is only $54 (Link). Should I buy it? If I buy that, I might OC it abit (if possible), so I'd buy a fan for it (Link. I'd also like to cool down my case abit. Currently, it only has the PS fan in it (stupid Compaq). Are these fans any good? Link Link. Which one should I buy out of those 2? Also, I'm thinking of maybe putting a window in and a 130mm (not 120, 130) fan in it (Link) Should I do that? Also, should I buy a new CPU HSF (Link)? I'm done with most of my Christmas shopping, so my next paycheck or two could contribute to this, plus any money I get for Christmas. What do you guys think? Comments/Suggestions are NEEDED!

yeah any fans would work, massacool nice, getting a new cpu heatsink would help also and some AS5 :D

OK. Of course I'll need some AS5, I'm not stupid:D . Anyways, instead of the window, I was thinking of maybe doing some wire mesh like, to increase airflow. Something like this. What do you think? I'd just cut a whole in the side of my case and then screw it on to it. Then, I could put the fan just about anywhere, it would allow more airflow, and it would act as a window and allow you to see the inside of the case. Now that I think of it, I may not even need a fan if I do that, just put all my current fans blowing out of the case and have that as a big intake! What do you think?

Put an exhaust fan on the back of your case... it will make a big difference.

I wouldn't advise leaving portions of your case open if only to avoid things other than air entering your case.

I'd go for the exhaust fan, the "leafblower" type are quite good although can be a little noise and take up an expansion slot space or even 2!

Tie cables together, remove any dust thats in your case or fans. Just have a bit of general maintenance and see how the temperatures are.

Cobalt said:
I wouldn't advise leaving portions of your case open if only to avoid things other than air entering your case.

I'd go for the exhaust fan, the "leafblower" type are quite good although can be a little noise and take up an expansion slot space or even 2!

Tie cables together, remove any dust thats in your case or fans. Just have a bit of general maintenance and see how the temperatures are.

This week-end (saturday) I think I'm gonna open up my case and clean the whole thing out. I'm gonna get some compressed air and a somewhat wet cloth and wipe everything down. Then, Sunday I'll hook it all back up and see what I get. I may just go by a blower for the back if my temps are still low.

Good idea, it's amazing how much dust gets in nooks and crannies and its amazing what a difference just shifting that can make. I get dustballs never mind a light coating!

Compressed air and make sure that you don't use water to damp the cloth if you're going near anything remotely electrical. I'm sure you know this already just don't want you frying anything! Is it alcohol based substances that you can use on electrics? Don't take my word for it but I'm sure the knowledgeable guys here can advise you :)

Hope it goes well and saves you the cost of a blower :)

use a lens cleaning cloth (like for use on glasses) with a little bit of isopropyl alchohol (>99%) and some compressed air but i wouldn't reccomend mesh as a case side unless it's VERY sturdy (like kennel size/strength) because the last thing you want is a chair leg or foot or something slamming through it, high strength plastic or safety glass is reccomended

GageMW said:
use a lens cleaning cloth (like for use on glasses) with a little bit of isopropyl alchohol (>99%) and some compressed air but i wouldn't reccomend mesh as a case side unless it's VERY sturdy (like kennel size/strength) because the last thing you want is a chair leg or foot or something slamming through it, high strength plastic or safety glass is reccomended
My case is on a sliding drawer like thing that slides into my computer desk. It has wood about 3 inches form each side surrounding it. I don't think a chair or anything can hit it.

OK. I bought some air and cleaned out my whole case and installed the LCD Fan/temp monitor I got. Now, my CPU idles at about 33C, and, with max load, gets upto about 47C. So, it did drop the temp about 5C. Should I still get some case fans? The graphics card is on it's way along with the Zalman fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom