Quad Vs. Dual - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Quad Vs. Dual

This topic seems to discussed a lot. But my I really haven't seen an answer to my question about them.

It seems like the general consensus is that quad core wont improve gaming compared to a core duo. And it seems like if you are a person that has many different processes running all the time, then a quad core would improve performance compared to a dual core.

So all things being equal, a quad core would out perform a core duo.

I am trying to decide on getting a quad or a dual core. If compared by price, the quad would have a lower frequency than a dual core. (at the top of my head about 2.66 vs 3.16 ghz). So would the dual core outperform the quad in gaming?

What I really want to see is a good benchmarks that compare these things. I wouldn't think that an arithmetic benchmark would be good when comparing these though...IDK.

Sorry if this is a repost. I couldn't really find a good answer.

So in summary....

Would I get more bang for my buck with a dual core since it has a higher frequency?

And would there be a noticeable difference in performance when dealing with a lot of different process?
There have been times when I have had photoshop, premiere, illustrator, word, browser, music player, and probably a couple other programs open. So there are times when I have many different programs open where a quad core would become appealing to me.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Quad Vs. Dual

If you multitask, go with a quad. Also if you are planning on building, i suggest going with an i7 920 rather than a 775 build.

Nothing to see here.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

You keep saying DUO Core and DUAL Core. There's a difference =/. Which one is it?!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i think he means core 2 duo. and with the major multi tasking yes i think the quad will go better.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

You can overclock once at home so clock speeds don't overly matter personally the choice is between a Q9300 and a E8400 and whih fits into the budget as they are both good processors. In your case a quad is probably warranted.

Depends on your budget though as if its over 1grande then I7 would be something to look into
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i agree with salty if you are using that many applications (some of which are rather intensive) at once, go with a quad.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 12-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The ONLY reason to go with a dual core is if you are going super cheap build (sub 100 processor) or want to go for a superduper overclock for superpi. I've been on a quad for over a year now and theres no way i'd ever go back. Now with my i7, its like having 8 cores

Nothing to see here.
Closed Thread