PC learning - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2007, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default PC learning

aloha guys,
I am trying to learn PC hardware repairs,installs and upgrades. I am curious as to whether you guys might know of any good books that would be helpful or if I should just read this thread, like a book ?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to Vaanish
Default Re: PC learning

Just read and post in these and other related forums alot. I did so and now i am much more knowledgable than before. If you get a book, then chances are that it will be out-dated and irrelivant in a short space of time.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

yea, I think that is the best option.
Thans for the response.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Books about computers will become outdated just as fast as the hardware, so the internet is probably your best source for information. Read up, but you might also want to try and get a hold of an old PC you can mess around with, since hands-on learning seems to be the most effective (for me, at least). Sure the hardware might be outdated, but after you take it apart and reassemble it you'll at least have a feel on how everything physically goes together.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

well installs and upgrades software wise are normally just a case of popping in a cd and letting it do its thing. Hardware repairs in the physical sense are near impossible to do by the home or even shop owner as when a card fries the silicon used internally transfuses breaking the contacts which isn't fixable with a soldering iron. Finally hardware upgrades is experience knowledge not really technical knowledge so read up on benchmark testing and any queries you have post here no matter how outlandish.

Having too much knowledge can also be detrimental to your customers as although pcs are logical devices and have a logical method for their construction the factors are interlinked and it can put most people in a confused state. I would recommend buying at least one case of each form factor or creating a cardboard mock up:
full tower (atx/btx/e-atx)
mid tower (atx/ micro-atx/ btx)
desktop (atx/micro-atx/btx)
sff (micro-atx/ mini-itx/ nano-itx)
car pc (itx)
pocket size (pico-itx)
then wih each case form have a couple of pages in a brochure showing the styles you offer
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Oh how I hate the btx form factor...

Anywho, wealth of info on the internets, but I dont see the harm of reading a book or two. Generally the basics of hardware that is depricated can still apply to new.

But if you are looking for the written word, subscribe to a magazine like CPU (Computer Power User) or Maximum PC, I find them to be quite entertaining.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Everything to Nothing
Send a message via MSN to Nick

whats wrong with BTX?

Closed Thread