My computer is slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
Hey guys,

My computer is just not cutting it any more. It's a AMD Athlon XP 3200 with a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe - 1GB DDR2 RAM - Antec True 550W PS - Maxtor 250 GB HD - Liteon DVD-RW - Floppy - PCI ATA 133 cont - MSI NVidia 8mb AGP graph card. The old Creat SB live SC - OS is XP Pro. I think my biggest drain on my system is Mcafee suite free with cable sub. especially FW. My problem is startup takes at least 5 min til I can do anything and when I have a website up and maybe Winamp on if I go into my folders I get an hour glass for around 15 or more seconds and If I view a pic in XP the viewer delays with hour glass for 30 or more seconds. It also locks up some times and has restarted a few times to. Which had me thinking PS but Antec is a good PS so not sure about that but it is getting old. I think I bought it in 2002.

I want to upgrade the MB and cpu. I don't think I need any more RAM I'm only surfing for the most part on this comp. Of course I know you can always use more RAM. I know this limits me but I want to keep my AGP graph card. It works great so I'm not junking it. I want to stay with AMD and I want Dual-Core. I don't really want to spend more than $160.00 with shipping. If you have another reason why my comp is slow I'd like to hear it.

Hey guys,

My computer is just not cutting it any more. It's a AMD Athlon XP 3200 with a ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe - 1GB DDR2 RAM - Antec True 550W PS - Maxtor 250 GB HD - Liteon DVD-RW - Floppy - PCI ATA 133 cont - MSI NVidia 8mb AGP graph card. The old Creat SB live SC - OS is XP Pro. I think my biggest drain on my system is Mcafee suite free with cable sub. especially FW. My problem is startup takes at least 5 min til I can do anything and when I have a website up and maybe Winamp on if I go into my folders I get an hour glass for around 15 or more seconds and If I view a pic in XP the viewer delays with hour glass for 30 or more seconds. It also locks up some times and has restarted a few times to. Which had me thinking PS but Antec is a good PS so not sure about that but it is getting old. I think I bought it in 2002.

I want to upgrade the MB and cpu. I don't think I need any more RAM I'm only surfing for the most part on this comp. Of course I know you can always use more RAM. I know this limits me but I want to keep my AGP graph card. It works great so I'm not junking it. I want to stay with AMD and I want Dual-Core. I don't really want to spend more than $160.00 with shipping. If you have another reason why my comp is slow I'd like to hear it.

how old is it?

I've had the same case for about 8 yrs. Bought it at 1 of those comp shows. Last updated cpu and MB 2 yrs ago and added 2nd stick of RAM maybe year and a half ago. It worked fine til I got Mcafee suite. Although it slowed slightly when I got XP Pro.

I've had the same case for about 8 yrs. Bought it at 1 of those comp shows. Last updated cpu and MB 2 yrs ago and added 2nd stick of RAM maybe year and a half ago. It worked fine til I got Mcafee suite. Although it slowed slightly when I got XP Pro.

ok when you go to start and then right click on my computer then go down tp properties how much Ghz and how much ram does it say?

It says 2.19 GHZ. I gave RAM amount above it's 1GB. RAm info is Kingston HyperX KHX3500A/512mb 2 sticks PC3500 CL 2.5 184 pin Dimm. I said above it was DDR2 but may be just 1. Will it work in newer MB's or do I have to buy that to?

it sounds to me like its just your mcafee is conflicting with something on your system to me

try taking it off the system for 20 minutes and see how it does

the thing is my system is a AMD sempron on the same board with 512mb ram and 160gb hdd and a ati 9600 and it ran great till i had norton and avg running at the same time, just see how it does with it off

I hate to tell ya, but you have a socket A mobo and CPU. That's...1... 2... 3... 4 generations behind on the AMD side of things. If you want to upgrade, we're talking mobo, CPU, RAM, and GFX card for a start.

You can do it fairly cheap, though, as the low-end Intel chips are plenty fast, especially when compared to what you are used to running.

Give us a budget and let's see what we can find. Oh, and give us the wattage/make and model of your PSU, and what size case you have (mATX/ATX).

Yes, I know I have Socket A..

I've always stayed 1-4 steps behind the technology because. I'm not gaming so the prices are better. My case is called a Super case it has 6
5-1/4 and 2 3-1/2 bays in it. Over 2', very tall.

Please read my first post complete because all info is there except for my mistakes which were added also. Why do I need new RAM and graph card? Graph card is fine and RAM is only 1 1/2 yrs old. All I use this for is surfing and managing bills and keeping records. I also play some old games like Recoil which has no problem running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom