Install a new H drive - need a quick reply pls!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonitah

Beta member
Hi,

I need help...I have installed a few hard drives but only as an additional storage drive....this time ideally what I would like to do is have the new drive (200gb Maxtor) contain winxp on a smaller partition say 10 gigs, and the rest of the new drive divided into 50gig-ish (<---new word LOL) partitions. Now to make things even more complicated I don't have the winxp install disc that came with the computer, it's in another city at my home. I am living temporarily somewhere else and have my computer with me. But, I do have access to a my son's winxp disc.

The harddrive I bought has the pata letters on it as opposed to the sata letters. What this means I have no idea...

My computer has a 2.93 ghz processor in it 512mb ram, winxp service pack 2 is installed, any other information I need to give you I can figure out with some instruction, I used to know more techy stuff re computers but of late I have not had the time or energy to do much educationally re the computer..lol.. The master harddrive is a WD800BB - Hard drive - 80 GB - internal - 3.5" - ATA-100 - 40 pin IDC - 7200 rpm - buffer: 2 MB Cache. Plus I have Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 slave for storage...both drives are bulging..lol. I would like to keep the 80 gig as a slave for storage and I also would like to transfer the data from the 40gb drive to one of the other drives at some point.

How hard is this task? Any help is much appreciated, it is -30 degrees with a -40 wind chill, lol so I am not going anywhere and would like to get this job done...lol

thanks in advance soooooo much

bonitah :D

Oh yes I forgot this,

New Drive specs:

Drive Capacity 200GB
Internal or External Internal
Connectivity ATA/100
Rotation Speed 7200 RPM
Compatibility PC
Manufacturer Maxtor
Manufacturer Model L01V200
Cache Buffer Size 8MB
Data Transfer Rate ATA100
Average Seek Time 8.5ms

hey, this task sounds pretty simple, but im still trying to figure what you want help with :p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom