Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Mar

Solid State Member
About 2 years ago I purchased a computer off someone who had built it on their own.

I just upgraded my monitor to an 17'' Acer LCD and when I hooked it up I got these weird verticle lines that where showing up on it.. So I changed the screen refresh rate to 60 Hertz and it took almost all of it away.

I was wondering if it is time to upgrade my computer and if that would help take care of the rest of the lines im seeing?

Im not sure how to find what my computer currently has in it but when I checked my device manager it says I have the following.

AMD 751 Processor 700MHz, 128 MB of RAM, ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP Card and a BIOS driver... I don't know how to find the exact mother board I have..

Im planning on upgrading it anyways and was wondering if I should replace the motherboard, Processor or Video Card first?

Im not going to be playing many games on it just using it mostly for school.. I would still like to have a good system if needed though..

Any help or advice would be great...

Thanks

YES!!! UPGRADE.

Honestly I think you should upgrade. your specs are borderline ancient and you can build a great comp for pretty cheap right now.

As far as your problem, its probably the video card. It might not be rated to go more than 60 Hz (I have that problem).

Im not sure how your running on something with a 700MHz processor, adn 128 of RAM. (your motherboard make/model shoudl be written on the board itself, or you can use a program to get it)

Either way, I still think you should upgrade. The sad truth is that if you get a new video card, youll probably have to upgrade to a new board, which means that you will have to get a new processor, and possibly new RAM. Of course this can be good depending on how you look at it :p

Search the forum, there are quite a few threads about ~$1000 systems, and plenty of advice already given. but if your not sure of somethign , definitly ask!

Thanks 4 the reply. Ill search some more and decide what processor, motherboar and video card is best 4 the money...

Ok I found a few things in my price range... I did a few searches and this is what I came up with. Tell me if these will be a good upgrade.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2000MHz HT 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103637

Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128010

The question I have now is about the Gigabyte AMD Motherboard above.. It says it has onboard video... Does this mean that I can hold off on buyin a new video card for now if I purchase this board... Trying to buy a little at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom