Convince me to build a server.....please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So I need a new build project and it's either a server of an admin comp for my wife. I wouldn't mind doing a server but to be honest have never really used or know that much about servers...so need some convincing on why I need one. Soooo.....here are my limitations:

Cost is going to be low, here is what I have so far:

- 1 gig of ram
- athlon xp 2800+
- DFI AD77 infinity
- new server tower
- total cost to date: $45

Question 1: As this is going to be a home server are those ok parts to start off with? what about the mobo, ok for server?

Now what I really need is to convince the wife, so, what uses will I get out of a home server? we have 3 other comps in the family and will probably have a fourth and fifth in the next year or so (nothing fancy, homework comp and garage comp). So having the home server would be good for networking....now what about webpages? I have a webpage I run as part of my consulting business but my wife wants one as well for her students, as a high school teacher.

Question 2: Can we cut down hosting costs and host them our selves on our server if we build one? Again...not a server pro so still foggy on server uses.

Question 3: any other good reasons for building a server? The more the better....

Yes, you will cut down on hosting costs if you host your own (obviously). You will still have to pay for a domain name & link the two.

Another plus about a server is that you can always put files on there and give access to it for the other computers, so you can share files & such.

Make sure you ISP will let you host one first but if its for a LAN they have no say on it but ig your going to host web pages you better have there permission.

Hardware wise you look fine but I would say get a good hard drive, an a good psu you won't be running graphics cards or anything that hogs powers so 400 watt should be fine.

Ok, sounds good, now a bit of a stupid question, how hard is it to set up...i'm learning the hardware stuff but to be honest i suck at software issues. Is it relatively easy to set up and maintain? I'd say my current level of software knowledge is about average. Average being that I can fix most problems i run into with enough guessing/googling but the base knowledge is a bit weak.

Question 1: I've ran a similar setup, KT400 Mobo, xp 2800 cpu, gig of ram..., first question i would have is which core is the xp2800, hopfully it is the barton core so it has the extended cache size. With a server, you typically will want to run more then 1 gig of ram, but if you limit your processes running on it you should be able to ensure that it works for you. With this setup, you can expect to have an average uptime of approximently 1 month give or take, the key to maintaining a long uptime is your cooling solution, expecially with the hotter barton core cpu. For awhile, with this setup, i was having overheating issues, to solve this once and for all, i installed a liquid cooling soultion. While my experiance with the KT400 mobo was not mindboggling, i cannot complain, it did what i asked it to. The cooling kit eliminates the potiential of cpu fans getting clogged with dust and malfunctioning, i picked my package up for approximently 100 from Minco.

The Wife: What you can explain to your wife is that this server can be used for many buisness related things,
:Multiple Webpage Server
:File/Backup Server
:Mail Exchange Server

Question 2: Yes, you can host them yourselves as long as your ISP allows you to. Typically this will involve setting up a buisness internet account with your ISP which will run you a little more each month, but the reason being is the extra bandwidth that you are getting for upload speeds. You can save money by using free dns services such as dyndns.com.

Question 3: Having a central point of data storage is always a good idea, it allows you to backup critical files easlier in the case of a crash. For more ideas on what a server can do for you, goto microsoft and search for Microsoft Server and check out all the options the OS offers.

With this setup, you can expect to have an average uptime of approximently 1 month give or take, the key to maintaining a long uptime is your cooling solution, expecially with the hotter barton core cpu. For awhile, with this setup, i was having overheating issues, to solve this once and for all, i installed a liquid cooling soultion.

Ok, could be another dumb question....ONE MONTH????? what died after a month? My old AMD Barton 2800+ ran 24/7 for 4 years before the mobo died on it...and then I got a new one and sent it off to the in-laws where it's still going strong. Did this happen a lot for you? Am I wrong to expect more out of the system than a month before something dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom