Case cooling - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Case cooling

The Hard Drive and Video Card in my desktop failed (after 4 years) within a month of each other. I recognise that after 4 years the computer does not owe me anything but I am wondering if when building my replacement computer I would be better off adding some supplemental case cooling (fan type)? No overclocking, or gaming; just a high powered SOHO workhorse.

I never experienced random shutdowns, or BSOD so I would not suggest that my computer suffered from high and damaging temperatures, but as a general principal is the additional cooling and noise a good idea?

Thanks

k

Old 11-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

wow, that sucks. Time to break out the wallet huh?

Old 11-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
j12
Monster Techie

yeah make sure you have sufficient case cooling. just get some 120 or 80mm fans.

hey havoc you didnt give good "advice" in your recent posts on the Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs section. lol

Laptop:
MacBook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa | 120GB HDD | 4GB ram
Desktop:
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.2GHz | 4GB ram | 880GB total HDD space | Gigabyte P965-DS3 | eVGA 8800GTS 640mb | Corsair HX 520 | Audigy 2 ZS platnium | Antec 900
Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste
Default Re: Case cooling

Quote:
Originally posted by kriemer
The Hard Drive and Video Card in my desktop failed (after 4 years) within a month of each other. I recognise that after 4 years the computer does not owe me anything but I am wondering if when building my replacement computer I would be better off adding some supplemental case cooling (fan type)? No overclocking, or gaming; just a high powered SOHO workhorse.

I never experienced random shutdowns, or BSOD so I would not suggest that my computer suffered from high and damaging temperatures, but as a general principal is the additional cooling and noise a good idea?

Thanks

k
All you need is what I like to call flow. For your situation all you need is equal In pressure and Equal Out pressure. Not counting power supply or Heatsink fans just have 80/120MM fan in and 80/120MM fan out.
But it really depends on the temparture of the room. The easiest way to cool a pc is to lower the ambient Temparture.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Quote:
Originally posted by j369852147412
yeah make sure you have sufficient case cooling. just get some 120 or 80mm fans.

hey havoc you didnt give good "advice" in your recent posts on the Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs section. lol
My advice is just as good as anyone else's here J12... I don't know what your talking a boot.
Closed Thread