Adding new HDD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Adding new HDD?

Hey all, having a little trouble getting a HDD to install. This might be dumb, but Im trying to add a Maxtor 250 gig HDD to my computer. I am trying to add it as a slave next to my CDROM drive. I made sure the jumpers and all were correct.

When i boot up, I get an error msg stating the drive is bad (Status BAD) and tells me to backup and replace ASAP. I know the drive isnt bad cause its brand new out of the box. What am I doing wrong here? Can I not add a drive as a slave to the CDROM? Only problem is there isnt another plug on the ribbon cable that has 2 HDDs on it already, so the only option I have is a slave to the CDROM. Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Your drive is bad, go return it.
Get a seagate or western digital.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

sounds doa, why woould you ever put a cd-rom as a hdd's master????????? just get a pci-ide card
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Try it with the cd disconnected, and hd jumpered as master just to test. NEW drives are sometimes DOA. I've returned 2 WD like that. Get it back to store in the 14 days OR you have to pay shipping.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by krazefinn
Try it with the cd disconnected, and hd jumpered as master just to test. NEW drives are sometimes DOA. I've returned 2 WD like that. Get it back to store in the 14 days OR you have to pay shipping.
I just tried it as the Secondary Master and then the Secondary Slave. It doesnt show up in the BIOS or Windows. But when I just tried it as the Secondary Master it did NOT get the "Status BAD" error. So how else do I test if this drive is bad? Why isnt it showing up?

UPDATE: I just tried to add the HDD to another computer and it worked. So, whats wrong with the computer I need to add it to? It wont show up as the Secondary Master or Slave. Any ideas?
Closed Thread