what is gmail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheMajor said:
Crappy mailservice that doesn't support ZIP or EXE files and probably some other filetypes as well.

First thing, you can send ZIP files. It's true, however, that it won't let you send Win32 executables as they are a 'security risk', but you can zip them. You also can't send Batch files, interestingly enough. (just tested this).

I don't think it's crappy at all.

Thanks to Gmail offering 1024 MB, competition was sparked and Hotmail upgrades accounts to 250 MB, Yahoo to 100 MB...from 2 and 4 MB respectively. Whether or not you like the Gmail service itself or not (I personally do), you gotta appreciate that factor. :cool:

phosho510, send me an Email and I'll send you a Gmail invite if you want to try it out. jazzed (AT) gmail (DOT) com

(Gmail is not yet open to the public as it is still considered to be in "beta" testing, but they've been giving invites to their current users to such an extent that it's not too hard to grab an account anymore)

I sent a ZIP file to my Gmail:

zip9ct.png

phosho510 said:
my email is jtbheedy (at) netzero (dot) com

I sent you an invite. Have fun. :)

Anyhow, Major, I attached two empty files to an email addressed to you...one entitled 'file.zip' and the other entitled 'file.exe'. It told me I could not send the '.exe' file...so I removed it and the ZIP sent. This is interesting...it works for some people and not others? Bug report time, perhaps...:p

gmail_scrot_zipexe.jpg

well it maybe if u have a mac
it looks like you have a mac unless you changed ur pc scheme
so the zip file may not work with mac
but i would think it would
so im probably wrong

NewCents05 said:
well it maybe if u have a mac
it looks like you have a mac unless you changed ur pc scheme
so the zip file may not work with mac
but i would think it would
so im probably wrong

Check my signature; I'm using Linux :cool:

And the general idea with Linux is that it looks the way you want it to look...and I'm using a theme called 'Milk' that has OS X-like buttons, which is why you might have thought I had a Mac...

And of course you can use ZIP files on a Mac...and besides,Gmail clearly doesn't care about the Operating System, otherwise it wouldn't have restricted .exe files for me...I can't run those...

And that particular ZIP file wouldn't work with anything...it's a completely empty, blank file. It has absolutely nothing except the extension ".zip" at the end of it. Same with the ".exe".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom