Trying to drop some weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I know there are some fitness guys on this forum so give me some tips or encouragement. I don't want to be a ripped muscular guy, just drop some baggage and a couple pants sizes.
Got a stair master about 2 weeks ago. I use it every day twice a day for ten minutes each time. Problem is, even though I have cut down my eating, I am not dropping any lbs. And man am I hungry a LOT. I don't eat big meals anymore and I only have fruit or veggies for a snack now instead of chips or cookies or (my favorite) popcorn. But the being hungry is killing me. Anybody have any suggestions for this? And I only need to drop about 15 lbs. I don't expect instant results, but I have lost zero lbs in two weeks. At the least it's discouraging. I don't drink soft drinks, only tea and water. And my tea is either unsweet or very lightly sweetened. Sucks to get old...

i've recently done this too.

quit soda and fast food altogether.
next is going to be cutting down on what i eat.

bookmarking this thread.

Here's my $0.02:

1) I'd like to get a couple of myths/misunderstanding out of the way. You can't lose weight and put muscle on at the same time, nor can you target a specific area for fat-loss. It's IMPOSSIBLE, it just doesn't biochemically work. Your body will not store proteins as muscle mass when your body is experiencing an overall caloric deficit. When you provide your body with less energy than it needs to run, it will attack stored resources for energy, these resources are stored fat and muscle mass. And when you exercise a specific area, the burn you feel is the work your doing on the muscle, it has nothing to do with burning fat in that specific area, the body doesn't work like that, you gradually lose fat from all over. Men will tend to lose their love handles and belly fat last, so don't be discouraged, the first time I lost weight, I was disappointed to not see the love handles change that much, but my arms and forearms got super lean and muscular-looking.

2) You're either eating at a caloric deficit or surplus (or breaking even). People who tell you that you just need to 'eat' regular don't know what they're talking about. If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less than your body burns for energy.

3) Drink lots of water! This is key! Up to 1.5 gallons per day while dieting. Drink water before a meal to fill you up! It keeps you hydrated and will cut back your cravings. As you drink more water, your body will drop a lot of stored water, which'll be the quickest and easiest weight you'll lose. But don't drink more than 500ml at a time, otherwise you'll be stretching your stomach which ain't good. Also, avoid going over your 100% daily limit of sodium, this means cutting back on chips and the likes. It bloats you like mad. Alcohol does this too. Alcohol is not compatible with weight loss!

4) Exercise! Do HIIT training to save time and burn fat more efficiently. Basically bring your heart-rate up like mad (sprinting) for a short period, followed by a longer cool down (walking/light-jog), then you go back to high-intensity and then back to slowing down in continuous intervals. Look it up on Google to get more info. And don't forget to weight-train! You won't be building muscles because you're in a caloric deficit, but this is important in order to prevent your body from cannibalizing your muscle tissue for energy! You want it to concentrate on stored fat! You want to keep that muscle mass for sure, so use it by weight training, your body will understand this as a signal that the muscle tissue needs to be kept and it will avoid using it for energy.

5) Don't go all-out Atkin's, but definitely reduce carbohydrates. Traditionally, our diets have consisted of anywhere between 65-85% of carbohydrates! And for some reason we think the 15-20% of calories we ingest from fat are the reason we are overweight... not true! Calories from fat are not the reason that people are overweight! Most stored fat comes from carbohydrates! Make your calorie intake about 50-60% from proteins and about 30% carbs and 10-20% fat. Proteins are much more satisfying. 200 grams of protein will always be more satisfying than 200 grams of carbohydrates. Break up your meals into at least 3 meals a day, but 5 smaller meals stretched throughout the day is best.

6) SLEEP WELL! Sleep early and long. Lack of sleep usually results in worsened mood > lack of motivation > a need to make up for lack of energy (eating sugary, high-carb foods) and a weakened metabolism! Also, logically speaking, you are in fact 'fasting' when you sleep, so the longer you sleep, the more calories you burn by not eating (yeah).

7) Keep yourself motivated! Watch those weight-loss TV programs or just imagine the future-you, just do anything, keep a journal, get a training buddy, whatever! Also, the scale can either be your worst enemy or your best friend; wait at least 3 days before you weigh yourself, and make sure it's at the same time of day and make sure you've 'depleted' your body of anything that might add on to the weight, and of course, weigh yourself nude (duh)! And if you crash and binge one day, don't give up the next day! Just start up again on the dieting road, maybe revise your diet to avoid these crashes (maybe you're eating too little?) the difference between 90% compliance and 100% compliance is negligible, so don't be too hard on yourself. If anything, the odd high-calorie 'cheat' day will help your body maintain a better metabolism during your dieting period

8) COUNT as much stuff as possible. Get a kitchen balance to weigh out servings! You think you're eating a healthy bowl of cereal, but you've mounded 4-5 servings in that bowl! You think your eating 250 calories because it says so on the box, but that bowl you served yourself might be easily 1000 calories! Get measuring spoons and cups for liquids and semi-liquid foods! Count your calories! Count the amount of carbs, proteins and fats your are eating make sure you've got a good protein-sided ratio! Calculate your max heart rate for your cardiovascular training (important for HIIT!) calculate your basal metabolic rate and your daily caloric expenditure! (there are many calculators available on the Internet that give you a good estimate!) Go get your body fat percentage checked at a fitness club through water submersion. Go for an initial measurement and go back from time to time to see how you've done! Remember, weight means NOTHING only your body fat percentage matters as far as keeping in shape is concerned - you can be 6 foot and 350 pounds, but only have like 8% body fat. For rough estimates, also check out your BMI (google) but again, not accurate, does not take body-frame into mind so take your results with a grain of salt. Of course, use your scale just to know that you are losing weight in some shape or form, but you won't be certain where that weight lost is coming from (muscles or stored fat?)

9) I know this sounds strange, but your body's 'output' generally gives you a good idea about your diet! If your pee is orange/florescent-yellow it means you are dehydrated - reduce your intake of sugar, coffee, etc etc.. if you're taking a multi-vitamin, then its normal for your pee to be florescent-yellow. If your dumps are, uhm... clumpy, thick and large, you're probably eating too much food in general and you're not getting enough fibre in your diet or water for that matter, so eat fibre rich foods, mainly fruits (peaches, apricots, apples, prunes, etc) and whole grains. yogurt also helps quite a bit.

Whatever you do I would not resort to a weight loss pill. I was taking that Lipo6X and it would make me really sick. Although that probably depends on what weight loss pill you take. Just eat a descent amount of the good things and exercise at least an hour a day. Walking is great. Drink plenty of water. I usually drink 3/4 of a gallon of water a day. You may even need more water then that. Even when I did this I did not loose much but I felt alot better. I am also still in my earlier 20's and still find it hard to drop pounds. Don't starve yourself either because that will not help. I used to eat one bowl of lettuce with some toppings a day and a piece of fruit a day and that would be all. I did that for 6 months and I could not stand it anymore.

eh
i'm a vegan

I don't know how you guys can eat so easily...and let me explain. You maybe can use how I eat and twist it to fit your "tastes"

I wake up
maybe eat a banana with a scoop of all natural no sugar added pb
I work out for 1.5 to 2 hours
I drink a protein shake...about 40grams of protein
I cook my food for the day...a package of tofu...6 servings worth, about 42grams of protein....and also anywhere from .75 to 1 lb of vegetables with it...that's a lot of food for me.
Right now grapefruit season is over...I normally eat half a grapefruit during the day too.
I split my cooked food during the work period from 2-3 portions, depending.
I come home and down another 30-40 grams of protein shake.

Sometimes I eat an additional bowl of special K protein cereal with soy milk.

oh my stomach gets stretched so and my belly is nice and big at the end of the day.

All is well the next day when I wake up...an hour later and magically lose 2lbs of weight ;) hehe

Eat your vegetables...it's good for your and makes losing weight so easy

EDIT: oh yeah, in case anyone has forgotton...I am so sexy you guys...seriously :D
I'm now around 172 and think I need to lose 8 more lbs to be super awesomely sexay!

this is with a height of 5'9"
chest about 48 or so
arms about 17
waste about 32...I need to trim this fat gut down to 30-29 :D

oh I'm so hawt...just in case anybody doens't get it by now...yes I am a goofball

haha you're a vegan? awesome.

I've been a vegetarian for about a year and 4 months now.

haha. but thanks for the informative post Merkwürdigliebe.
(how in the....did you come up with that name?)

Great info. I understand that muscle weighs more than fat and that by building any lean muscle I can expect a gain in overall weight. I can feel a difference in my thighs and calves from hitting the stairmaster. They burn like crap after about 4 or 5 minutes so I slow down a bit then work back up to a fairly fast pace. Can't take pills and I have to be careful of any supplements. I have high blood pressure and take meds for that. I guess patience is the key, but man am I hungry. Apples, oranges, celerey and carrots are my snacks so fiber isn't an issue. I have a bowl of cheerios or raisin bran for breakfast. Probably a bigger portion than on the box like you said. At least three days a week I have a salad for lunch with low fat dressing. Gonna start working in an ab workout as soon as I get the nerve. The one I downloaded nearly made me puke the first time I did it and I only made it through the first 5 minutes. P90X Ab Ripper X if anybody is interested. Yeah I'm old and out of shape, but if I don't get this issue under control my doc will want to put me on more meds. Oh, I had my body fat measured, 27%. I'm about 5'8 1/2 and weigh around 185. 34" waist. Flab.

I mean this with all seriousness, and please don't take offense... at 27% body fat, you are clinically obese, you're not simply 'overweight' but have more than enough extra fat on you to be a serious health risk, but are you sure that '27' figure the doctor mentioned was not your BF% but maybe your BMI or something?

...at 5'8, with that much body fat, I doubt your weight is around 185 or your waist size 34, unless you have a dangerously low amount of muscle mass, but forget what I'm saying, I'm not a professional, go consult a doctor, get proper measurements.. what did he use to measure your body fat percentage? a caliper? those are quite inaccurate - they are based on indexes and national averages - water submergence is the best and most accurate method, your health is definitely worth more than the $60 it would cost, if you are indeed over 25% body fat, you might need to consider something a little more drastic, I'd rather not discuss those options and let you consult with a doctor about something this important

I know I might be freaking out a little, but trust me 27% BF is very dangerous

and dude, you're not old, 42... come on.. I've seen a Japanese fisherman at the age of 88 years jumping in rivers and catching fish with his bare hands! you just gotta push yourself, really get into it, GET ANGRY, realize that being overweight is like a disease, treat that stored fat like a foreign invader, give it no mercy, age doesn't mean jack, I see people my age, some of them are lazy couch potato sacks and others are doing triathlons - it's a state of mind, whether or not you push yourself into it is up to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom