Extra Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with firewall

You could remove the HD's and and use a distro that boots from floppies/CD, e.g. m0n0wall.

You can run a command line firewall and use another computer to connect to it to configure it using a GUI web interface. Sort of like the way a home router operates. A good example is software from Astro http://www.astaro.com/firewall_network_security/security_facts they have alot of different software product ranging from application filtering to packet inspection, virus and spyware protection.

If you were to run Linux on such a low end machine or a bootable CD that requires a great deal of RAM it wouldn't be feasible. So look for a command line firewall.

hey thanks for all of your ideas. i think this will be my first case mod project, aswell as a firewall/router for all of my computers. if you have any other ideas, toss em up, because i will have more computers like this comming my way.
thanks
-joe

azkid110 said:
i was thinking of turning it into a server, a firewall box, or a media thing... like i said, i dont know what to do with it. so what would you do with it? (besides throw it away or donate it lol)

MP3 Juke Box. However you would be pushing it to play Dvix and some of the other formats that out are out there.

I have seen a lot people turns those things into a Firewall.

Cheap and Nasty Printer Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom