Fastest custom PC vs. fastest Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

zpert

Beta member
Hey, I've read soooooo much about Macs vs. PCs that I'm just getting overwhelmed. The things that stick out to me are that Macs don't have spyware, viruses, or a registry(which can be corrupted and slow performance). I've been a PC user all my life, but I'm going to get a new computer very soon, and am open minded to getting the best machine I can. What I'm wondering is should I get a Mac or build my own PC. I've read benchmarks on Dells vs. Macs, but I can build a lot faster machine than Dell sells, so that's irrelevent to me. Please give me an unbiased opinion on which one I should go with. I want to know whether the fastest custom built PC is faster than a Mac. I'm talking the best of everything, like 2 Radeon X1900Xts in crossfire, 2 WD 150 raptors in RAID 0, etc. I want the best system for gaming, listening to music, browsing, that kind of stuff. Thanks so much for your help, any is greatly appreciated!
-Paul

Umm there is no Mac that will be able to keep up with the setup you posted..lol. For reals if you want gaming for sure go with a custom build PC...there is really no titles for a Mac. I've been using a dual procesor G5 at work and it screams..but it doesnt scream like my home built PC. It is nice to be able to surf the net without blasted spyware though!!!

Oh that's great to hear, thanks a lot! I had no clue whether or not the fastest mac could keep up or for all I knew beat a home built PC. There were no benchmarks that I could find, and everything was outdated. I needed someone like u who used both, so thank you very much for writing back! And as for the spyware, Vista SUPPOSEDLY is going to be a lot more secure as far as malware and spyware. I was reading that along with Windows defender (a joke of an anti spyware tool if u ask me), Vista doesn't let programs write to any file without your permission. It's sort of like a firewall, but inside your hard drive. Pretty sweet if it works. Also, it won't let programs change the main registry. From what I understand, it will have a separate section to the registry just for things users install and all that, so that's a big improvement too. Alright, thanks again man.
-Paul

You can't beat a custom built top of the line PC in performance. This doesn't mean that PC's are better than Macs.

It's like comparing a Pickup truck and a Porsche... they are both powerful, just that their power is usually used for different things.

zpert said:
Vista doesn't let programs write to any file without your permission. It's sort of like a firewall, but inside your hard drive. Pretty sweet if it works.

Wow, that sounds pretty annoying. Using a web browser thousands of files are created changed removed. I would hate to have to press a button for everyone one of those.

If I have a fullscreen game running that needs to write to some config files, I have to minimize it and click "Okay?"

That sounds terrible!

Wow, that sounds pretty annoying. Using a web browser thousands of files are created changed removed. I would hate to have to press a button for everyone one of those.

f I have a fullscreen game running that needs to write to some config files, I have to minimize it and click "Okay?"

That sounds terrible!

Well I don't know the full extent of it, because that was just the first beta, but from what I understand, it's partly like what you said. The thing is, it wouldn't be as annoying as you're picturing, because, like a firewall, you can grant those programs "administrative rights" where they can do whatever they want, like they can in XP. So in your case, when you install your browser and game, all you'd have to do is grant them administrative rights in Vista and voila, they're free to do what they want. In my mind this is very good, because yes, like a firewall, initially there can be quite a few windows to answer questions to, but after you get your few programs up and running, it's one program at a time from then on. This prevents unwanted spyware to install itself on your computer.

Don't take my word as 100% on the money though, because this is what I understood from a review written by a guy testing Vista's first beta, haha, so a lot could change from then til their final release, and I'm sure a lot will. I would think it would be similar to what I thought, but more polished.

"Good got it im the hawtes around...."

Win2kpatcher said:
Umm there is no Mac that will be able to keep up with the setup you posted..lol. For reals if you want gaming for sure go with a custom build PC...there is really no titles for a Mac.
I would just like to point out that Macs have had gaming titles since the Macintosh Classic II :p lol!!

Most of the games that macs play now are PowerPC remakes of old PC games, and all the games exclusve to Mac usualy arent that popular anyway, but thed DO exist.

Just because they arent POPULAR doesn't mean they dont exist. lol;) :cool:

"Loowlz..."

Umm.............. That was exactly what i was saying n' stuff?

Win2kPatcher said "There were really no gaming titles for Mac", and i said Yes there are...
:cool:

Re: "Good got it im the hawtes around...."

ATIRAGEPRO said:
Most of the games that macs play now are PowerPC remakes of old PC games, and all the games exclusve to Mac usualy arent that popular anyway, but thed DO exist.

I thought you were sayin they're lame games but they do exist.

I didnt say there was NO titles just really no titles..lol. I know personally they have titles for a Mac cause we used to game up on our macs here at work over the LAN playing Quake3 arean and Return to Castle Wolfenstein..but like ya know cool titles like the need for speed undergrond series ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom