Wireless Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbo

Solid State Member
Hi there.

I know my wireless network card is functionning correctly because it is receiving packets and sending them from the wireless router.

My problem is that it will not establish a wireless connection. The hardware says the signall is strong and all that, but I can't set it up so that the "Internet Getway" is enabled. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to connect. I've run IP config and things like that.

I have an IP address
The network card is installed and functionning
The network itself is strong and functionning

Could someone suggest how to fix my connection to the internet? Thank you very much :D

do you have a gateway set or not? I would think dhcp would pull this. If not, you can set this to be the address of your router.

Are the dns addresses pulling from dhcp?

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I don't have a gateway set. How do I go about doing this? If it is through the internet connection wizard, I have tried that and it doesn't establish a gateway.

I have done what you suggested by imputting the DNS addresses and the address of my router into the dhcp settings. This doesn't work, perhaps because I do not have a gateway established.

Thank you though for your assisstance, a little more would be a great help :D

I'm not understanding your problem very well. You have a wireless network that is sending and receiving packets. Did you manually set the IP address, or are you letting the router assign the IP addresses as computers log on? If you're letting the router assign the addresses, then it should automatically set itself as the gateway.

Go to a command prompt and run "ipconfig /all". Tell us what you see for an IP Address, DHCP Server, and DNS Server.

Also running "ping www.google.com" and "ping 216.239.51.99" and then tell us what you see for both responces.

EDIT: What operating system are you using before you do the above steps?

Thanks guys. I'm running Windows XP home edition.

ipconfig /all

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection

Connection-specific DNS suffix:

Description: Intel (R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3A mini PCI Adapter
Physical Address: 00-0C-F1-40-82-AA
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
DHCP server: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
Lease obtained: Friday July 9 2004 4:13:22
Lease expireds: Friday July 9 2004 4:18:22

And

the ip address timed out and google was unable to be contacted.

Thanks for your help.

you should set your comp to assign dns servers from dhcp.

You can change this in your tcpip properties.

but it doesn't make sense that your 1st ping timedout. run tracert *put ip here*. this will show us where the connection is bombing out at.

edit: you should reset your modem to try to clear out any bugs.

I've run the tracert and it failed to reach the router. The connection times out before ever reaching it. This confuses me because according to my wireless network settings, I AM connected to that router. Apparently I have been for the last 9 hours or so, and I have a "good" connection at 11 Mbps. I have reinstalled the drivers for the networking card to no avail.

I also did as csamuels suggested, as well as assigning a dns server manually, both to no end.

Please assist :(

And thank you again for your efforts, it's a very considerate gesture.

try "ping 192.168.1.1"

I would also try unplugging the router, and clear any bugs that may have shown up there.

Ok done and done. The pinging of the router works, and I've done a reset.

No luck I'm afraid :(

:(

Edit: this is the network from hell!!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom