Wireless Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichM499

Daemon Poster
I am in the process of moving to a new house. I was going to pay a little extra to move in early, but I had an opportunity to just stay with a friend for a week until the 1st. Anyway, the person I am staying with has a wireless network set up. It's just a basic Linksys WRT54gs router, and there are a total of 3 computers on the network. 1 is wired directly to the router. I have used the cable connected directly to the router and had no issues (in case you were wondering). One computer is upstairs and I have no access to it, and the other is the computer I'm using to type this.

My problem is this: I get "excellent" signal strength, but the **** thing disconnects (it says "no connections available") and then reconnects every 30 seconds or so. This is very very annoying. Somtimes it seems to work for a while, and somtimes it reconnects very frequently. I had to type in my username/password for Tech Forums 5 times because of this.

I am using a Linksys Wireless-G (with speedbooster??) PCI adapter. I have updated the router firmware (without consent, I guess I should have asked first....) but it didn't help. I have changed the "channel" from 1, to 6, and then to 10, but it didn't help. There is no security on this network, no WPA, none of that.

What could cause this to be such a pain? Any suggestions?

Also. No wireless devices are present. (no phones, baby monitors, sprinkler systems, or house alarms). The microwave is on the other end of the house.

By the time the thing shipped I would be in my new place anyway, and I have a nice Cisco router with a 20 port switch on a stack of networking equipment ready to go. So I don't think I'll be buying a new wireless adapter. Thanks for the info though, if I ever decide I need one I'll know which one to buy.

I'm going to have fun running cat5 everywhere, but I have a few servers and more than a few systems to set up around the house, so I'd rather work a bit installing cable then fussing with lousy wireless all the time.

Edit: Shortly after I made the first post this wireless connection decided to stay connected. I'm sure it won't last long, but it's nice for now.

That was just the one that finely worked good for me. I had tried a few that were recommended by other people. I really think it's just luck of the draw, what works for me may not work for you anyways. Hopefully your connection will last and you'll get to your new house soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom