Weird Issue with PuTTy

aball4

Beta member
Just recently began using PuTTy to Telnet into switches and routers. I have run into a strange issue. I was able to Telnet into a couple Cisco switches without any issues. I accessed one today and since then I have not been able to Telnet into any others from PuTTy. It shows a blank screen and times out after a couple moments. BUT I can still Telnet into the switch I had accessed right before this issue started, just none of the others. When I am connected to this switch I can Telnet to the others but only if I am logged into this one.

Has anyone seen a similar issue? The only thing I can think of is a software issue since the switch I can access uses Cisco CatOS programming and the others all are using Cisco IOS.

It's possible that it's an issue with putty - try a different terminal emulator or even the command line for whatever OS you're using (I think you may have to do something to enable telnet for Windows, don't remember). I've had times when I could connect with another program and not putty, and other times when the reverse has been true. Does SSH work?

If you're seeing the same issue with different programs then chances are that it has something to do with the network connections or the device configs. Are you the only one who manages these devices?

It's possible that it's an issue with putty - try a different terminal emulator or even the command line for whatever OS you're using (I think you may have to do something to enable telnet for Windows, don't remember).

Control Panel > Programs and Features > Add/Remove Windows Components on left panel > should be an option for enabling Telnet in the list somewhere.

I am also not able to connect using Telnet from the command line. At some times during the day I am able to connect normally to the switches(this seems to be completely random) and other times I have no access and must first Telnet to the one switch then Telnet to any other I want to access. I don't manage any of these devices, I am just a user.

Are you able to SSH?

If not, then is there someone who admins these devices who you can speak to? You should be getting "connection refused" messages if it's something with the config, or if vty lines are maxxed out. You'll need someone who is familiar with the device configs and who has access to the logs. it doesn't sound like it's a problem limited to putty, and there could be a million different things that are causing this.

Back
Top Bottom