using 2 wireless cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DISK

Baseband Member
I have been scouring the web for info but have not been successfull.

I am wondering if I can use my laptop's wireless card and also a external usb wireless adapter simultaneously. Have each one connect to a seperate access point and then bridge the connections together. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, where I may find further information regarding this subject?

What exactly do you need two different wireless connection for, are you using the second connection for a backup or are you trying to load balance both connection as one?

I know that it's possible to make the other connection as a backup just incase the primary connection goes down, but I'm not quite sure how to load balance both connection as one on two different network.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to use two wireless connections and balance the load between them. For instance, at the coffee shop that I frequent, they have two DSL lines and it just got me to wondering if it was possible to utilize both at the same time in an efficient manner.

What the coffee shop is doing is probably with a more enhanced router and the ability to control NAT address translation or a circuit-level gateway to configure which client IP address uses which DSL line. Or they can have the second line as a backup.

You can do it with hardware or software, most likely your routers don't have the ability to do it so you'll need the software ability. I don't think windows bridge mode will load balance for you, I do know that Windows 2000/2003 server has the software to load balance between two internet connection.

Most hardware are routers with two or more WAN connection.

Let me see if I can find a software solution.

Thanks for the info Law!

I will study up on the leads you gave me and hopefully I can try this out this weekend. I have an media center that I was thinking of switching over to either Fedora or FreeBSD. Also, I just thought of another source that I did not check, Sourceforge. There may be some relatively unknown opensource software solution for this yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom