trying to set up home LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

benignvirus

Solid State Member
I have 4 computers that I am trying to setup to a home LAN and Windows is being such a pain in the butt! My ISP is Comcast cable and the way my computers currently connect is like this:
modem wired to router, router wired to PC1(XP), router wireless to PC2(98SE), PC3(98), Laptop(XP). I want to keep that connection but want to make it so I can use my printer on PC1 with all of them and share files and stuff from once computer to another. I tried setting it up today but it messed up my internet for like an hour then magically went back to the old connection after a totally wasted hour. I opened the network connections on the copmuter I wanted to be the ICS and clicked "setup home or small office netowrk". I went through some stuff and when i came to how i connect to the internet i did "other" then i clicked "connect directly to the internet and i do not have a network setup yet". i selected the LAC Intel Pro thing. Then I did the computer info and created a setup disk. I put it in all the other computers and in the network connectons box appeared a internet gateway on the 2 XP comuters. This is when the internet didnt work for an hour.:mad: Can anyone help??

When you say “...router wireless to PC2(98SE), PC3(98), Laptop(XP).” you suggest that you are wirelessly connecting three computers to the network. If this is the case, then you *don’t* need to run ICS. Simply connect each computer to your wireless network. The hard-wired computer connected to the router should have internet access. When the other computers are online wirelessly, they are part of the same NAT network created by your router, so you should simply be able to turn on Microsoft file and printer sharing on all computers, install the drivers for your remote printer (if necessary) and be up and running. To make this slightly easier, you might want to put all 4 computers on the same windows workgroup before undertaking this process.

If you are not connecting the other 3 computers wirelessly to the network, but rather, wired, let me know, as the steps to solve this problem will change.

Please Note: I have come here to offer suggestions to you, I will try to check back every so often and give further suggestions, but am in no way guaranteeing that I will. Best of luck to you. [smile]

Yes 2, 3, and my laptop have a wireless connection to the router. But I guess what I'm trying to find out is how to start a workgroup.

Ok... This is different for each OS...

You have to go under My Computer on XP and...

In 98/98SE it's under Network Settings...

Each of the computers must be under the same workgroup name (I use "everyone") for them to see each other...

As was said in the previous post, you don't have to use ICS if you have a router setup... Just have the router connect to the internet through your modem...

You might find a setting in your modem that will allow you to use it as a gateway... if you have this option, use it... it is easiest..

Then, in your router configuration tell it to connect using your name and password (if you have one)... You may have to get ahold of your ISP for them to allow the router to accept the connection if you don't have a username/password (they will undoubtably want the MAC address of the computer it will be connected to... give them the router's MAC address :p)

Then... for sanity's sake, make sure you can ping between the computers... I would suggest setting up DHCP on your router and having each of the machines automatically detect their IP address...

Also, be sure that you tell the machines to use the router's internal IP address as their Gateway and Primary DNS addresses... this is important... if you don't do this then the machines won't be able to access the internet... :eek:

If you're wanting to do printer/file sharing, make sure you tell the win98 machines to allow it and include it in the list of installed protocols/clients on the Windows XP machines...

That should be just about everything to get it setup correctly...

Got any ??'s... just ask.. :p

Squirrelly1 :D

I'm totally lost. I'm in My Computer and I'm looking at my workgroup and my computer is there. I remember when I was trying to make a network Windows told me to give a workgroup name so i put in my last name. Oh and on my 98SE, nothing in the control panel is working. grr I must seem stupid.

Hark! I did the same thing on my laptop and it says [my last name] is not accesible. But at least I know it works!! my main XP computer has a firewall so I'll try to get it to work around that, but I stilil can't figure out why my 98se control panel doesn't work

OK, now I tried turning off the Windows firewall and the computer is not acknowledging the laptop and vice versa even though they do have the same workgroup name.

ERM... Excuse me... I'm not sure if you figured it out, but when I said go under My Computer... I meant the properties from the icon on the desktop... my fault, I should have been more clear...

Can you ping each machine? From Run type "cmd" or "command" this will bring up a DOS prompt (or emulator)... type in "ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" for each of the ip addresses...

to get a machines IP address you do the following for windows 98:

from run type "winipcfg" or "winipconfig" can't remember which :eek:

in the combo box (drop down box) select the network adapter you are using for this connection... it should then show you the ip address if one has been assigned/given to it...

in Windows XP...

open the DOS prompt again (RUN "cmd" or "command")
type "ipconfig /all"

look through the data and find the information for your NIC (network interface card)...

the IP will probably start with 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X

Tell us what you find

Squirrelly1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom