strange network activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

prash78

Baseband Member
Is it possible for a computer with a wireless card to pick up a wireless router/adsl modem which is in the building nextdoor? the reason i ask is, is that a friend of mine has a situation where he's not only picking up the name of his network, but two others...which he's not familiar with. I think one is called REDEAGLE. very strange. As i thought with wireless cards there's a 40metre limit or so and for it to go thru such thick walls seems un-usual.

This is not unusual at all and I can get signals from around 100-200 meters away at times

Is it because their network is not secure? I suspect it isnt as it said "no encryption" if this is true can i not use their connection?

when their network appears...it does seem to cause problems with ours.

There is a little program called NetStumbler that you can use to read signal strength, log on to their network, etc. You can have a lot of fun with it.

YES IT IS....I have gone in apartment complexs to install wireless for an apartment. I see all the neighbors networs, sometime as high as 10. Just 'caus you see them does not mean you can connect, they may have encryption set and there maybe more that have turned of SSID broadcast.

Yeah i can pick up a netgear network were i am i can connect buts its a low signal but my school has wireless and its just across the road

coooooooooool

free internet, maybe they will let you print stuff out on their printer also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom