router -->switch work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright, i've also heard and asked many times but could never get a for sure straight answer that putting a cross over cable between the modem and a hub will activate all ports for internet, but anyway...does crossover/straight thru matter? does it make it easier?

thanks for all the replies guys i really appreciate it.

Yes, crossover/straight through does matter most of the time.

The way that I was taught it is that if you're switch has an uplink port, and you're connecting that port to a regular port on another switch, you would use a straight through.

If your switch doesn't have an uplink port, then you would need a crossover cable.

Now, I said that it matters most of the time which type of cable you use. I have heard of, but not used, switches that autosense the type of cable that you have, and can correct for if you use the wrong type. I don't know if that would be only on an uplink port, or if that would be on every port of a switch.

Edit: Reading my reply, I think it would be clearer with an example of what I'm trying to say.

Say you have 2-12 port switches. These switches each have uplink ports. You want to connect the two to each other. Using a straight-through cable, you can choose a port (1 through 12) on one to connect to the uplink port on the other. Using a crossover cable, you can choose a port (1 though 12) to connect to another port (1 through 12) on the other.

I hope that clarifies a little more.

yes it did help, thanks...ok, so i know the switches/hubs i'll be using have uplink ports but only one room in this house will have one of these switches, the other computers will be fed directly from the router, i use a straight thru from the dsl modem to the internet port on router and straight thru from router to uplink on switch/hub?

IBMan said:
yes it did help, thanks...ok, so i know the switches/hubs i'll be using have uplink ports but only one room in this house will have one of these switches, the other computers will be fed directly from the router, i use a straight thru from the dsl modem to the internet port on router and straight thru from router to uplink on switch/hub?
that's correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom