Router access

coolbrze

In Runtime
We have an Actiontec router & I'm wanting to be able to change settings so my kids & their friends can't access after say, 10 p.m. Verizon just sent us this one a few months ago & my eldest son set it up. How do I get into/access the settings on this thing? It's the MI424WR & I'm using a Macbook Pro & we have Verizon Fios if that makes a difference...

You'll have to find out what the IP address for the router is.

By default it's: 192.168.1.1
To double check that on OSX:
How to Find Your Default Gateway | Support | No-IP

Type that IP address into your web browser, and it will probably prompt you for login credentials. Default is usually one of these:

1) Username: admin, Password: admin
2) Username: admin, Password <blank>
3) Username: <blank>, Password: admin

If it's none of those...then you'll need to contact your son and ask him what the router web GUI login is (or look on the router itself for a sticker that has the login info on it). After that...you'll have to look around and see if there's a setting you can set for availability (either for specific systems only, or for all systems).

The default user name for the Actiontec MI424WR router is "admin," and the default password is "password" (do not include the quotation marks).

Netgear does the same thing.

Another possibility is that the password is the serial number of the router.

Then you get in to the parental controls and set the router to shut off at certain times of day and what days. Or to deny access by certain IPs.

But change the ID and password in case he has it. Make it something he'll never think of.

Thanks, unfortunately he changed the password when we got this router a few months ago & can't remember it. Any way to get around this or do I need to call Verizon to have them reset it?

Thanks, unfortunately he changed the password when we got this router a few months ago & can't remember it. Any way to get around this or do I need to call Verizon to have them reset it?

No, just do a hard reset, at the back of the router there should be a pin sized button hole, use a needle and press for around 15sec then it should put back to factory settings (and reset password). May want to check the manual on how long to press it down :cool:

look here, a paper clip may work the best for doing that
Yes, but clearing the password also resets the configuration of the device. So following a reset, the router will need to be completely reconfigured.
To Reset the Router, begin with the unit powered up. Then using a small tool, depress and hold the Reset button on the back of the device for 10 seconds, and then release it. When the router has finished restarting the username and password will be erased and you will need to create a new user name and password.

Actiontec
(click support tab)
a data sheet yes but still informative
http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router Datasheet.pdf

With any luck, Verizon did not change too many defaults

Last edited:
Unless the modem part has its configuration saved on a eeprom chip when you default the router part it might take the modem settings with it. I'd get on the tooter with your isp and just explain what happened and what you want. If all else fails just have them send you a swap for the one you have now.

Unless the modem part has its configuration saved on a eeprom chip when you default the router part it might take the modem settings with it. I'd get on the tooter with your isp and just explain what happened and what you want. If all else fails just have them send you a swap for the one you have now.

Usually the modem config gets auto-downloaded when connected to the cable jack - at least that's how mine has worked with my ISP.

Back
Top Bottom